larryd Offline

Threads: 11

Is it permitted not to shed tears :?:

Big Grin
12-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

And DMR have said they wont race at this years TT but are doing the NW200. I have a sneaky feeling that Honda are going to stick it up the DTL for past mistakes. Will the NW200 now become what they have been trying to do,make it the premier road race event.
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46

If true, and I have my doubts that it is considering that a 6 month old story is now doing the rounds, I think Honda are in danger of an "own goal." I suppose that they could always support a non-factory team whilst at the same time staging their protest. After all they're not adverse to the occassional protest are they? Nonetheless, considering the number of TT supporting Honda riders, next year's 50th Honda anniversary, the threat from Suzuki and Yamaha to loosen their grip on the Superbike/Senior races, Honda need the TT and vice versa. I'd therefore urge all parties to sort out a deal and prevent a TT whooping at the hands of Suzuki, Yamaha and an emerging Triumph threat in the Supersports class, sportsbike buyers may not forgive them. alf
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Website Find Reply
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39

Hello everyone

This topic was brought to my attention today, and whilst I don't want to get into any lengthy exchanges on the topic of Honda and the TT, there does seem to be some inaccurate rumors circulating on the Island at the moment, and perhaps I can offer a little more information on the subject.

First of all, there is no dispute between Honda and the Department of Tourism and Leisure. Of course, I would say that wouldn't I, however if any of you are able to speak to Steve Martingdale (MD of Honda UK), Neil Tuxworth (Manager of Honda Racing UK), Dave Hancock (R&D Manager of Honda UK) or Mark Davies (MD of Honda Europe) they would all confirm this without hesitation, of that I am certain.

There is no denying that Honda had some issues with the TT this year that they would like to see addressed for the future, many of which already have been addressed, but this is normal of any relationship. Likewise, we had some issues with Honda we would like to see addressed for the future, and we have discussed these issues with them.

Honda UK have been very supportive of the recent change to the organisational structure of the TT, and have been involved in the consultation stage of producing the 2008 TT Regulations. I have spent a lot of time lately talking to Honda and all the other major manufacturers and teams of late on a number of issues concerning the development of the TT, and this is something that happens throughout the year. It is fair to say that the relationship between the Department and the motorcycle manufacturers as a group is very strong at the moment, and the TT's credibility inside of the industry is very high. Honda also recently held a leadership conference on the Island, which the Department was involved in on the event planning and facilitation.

I have also been talking to Honda about plans for TT 2009, when their racing arm celebrate their 50th anniversary, and it is fair to say, that there could be some exciting plans for the future.

Now to correct a couple of points which are simply not right. Honda have not withdrawn machinery for the Traveling Marshals at the TT. That said, they may not be the provider in 2009, and there are several companies vying for the rights to be the official motorcycle partner of the TT from 2008 onwards.

Honda will also be at the TT in 2008. Hydrex Bikeanimal.Com Honda are already confirmed with Guy Martin at the helm, and they have been upgraded in status to an official HRC backed team for 2008 for BSB and the TT. There is also something else in the offing with Honda I am working on at present, along with John McGuinness. More details on that will be announced at the TT Press Launch, due to be held in the near future.

Finally, is is nice that someone thinks that I 'fixed' the TT, but I agree with nipper, in so much as that is a bit of a strong statement! Whilst I would like to think I have played my part, the recent success the event has enjoyed has been brought about by the hard work of many individuals and organisations across the public, private and voluntary sectors. There is no doubt however, that the event is in good health at present and can look forward to an exciting future, particularly from a sporting perspective, with more and more high quality riders and teams looking to be involved going forward.

Best wishes

Paul
12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Thanks Paul for your reply, but you have missed out a name from Honda
12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
ali Offline

Threads: 5

14-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Find Reply
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48

The TT will go ahead, just fine, with or with out Honda Big Grin They need to pull there own heads in, and ask the DTL for permission to race there, not the DTL asking them to race there

How much pure Free PR do those tooss pots want?

If I was a Honda road bike owner, I would be writing to the big wig, telling them how I fealt about my brand of bike not being represented in the pinacale of road racing enviroment

Grow up Honda 8)
16-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40

Very well said Shaun. I've always said that Honda will always owe far more to the TT than the TT could ever owe Honda. If they don't want to come then fine, it'll just make the racing closer and you can bet your bum that someone will find a decent ride for McGuinness.
16-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Website Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

Putting personal make preferences aside, another view would be that if you were attempting to modernise the TT and attract top calibre riders and teams, then alienating the worlds biggest manufacture would have to be an own-goal of significant proportions.
However we are assured this is not the case; the relationship is as cordial as ever, Honda are just having 2008 off for budgetary reasons.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
17-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13

Don Simons Wrote:Putting personal make preferences aside, another view would be that if you were attempting to modernise the TT and attract top calibre riders and teams, then alienating the worlds biggest manufacture would have to be an own-goal of significant proportions.
However we are assured this is not the case; the relationship is as cordial as ever, Honda are just having 2008 off for budgetary reasons.

i hope you are right Sad very sad that honda arnt going to be there this year

have to wait and see what 2009 brings!!!
17-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63

Don't worry, I'm sure that the Purple Helmets will still have the barefaced cheeks to be there to represent Honda.

[Image: sc_piano2_m.jpg]
17-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50

Here is a question for you :-

If the Isle of Man TT was that important to the sales of the new Honda's this year, and IF, as Honda have stated, that the TT is a very important meeting for them, then why was there not a slice of the cash put aside for the TT in the first instance, even if it was to run a Honda Day?

I think people have to wake up to the fact that the TT is just being used as a marketing ploy as and when the manufacturers need it. So wouldn't it be a better idea to run the meeting for the competitors, who do turn up, rather than the manufacturers who only do so when it suits them.

We have seen races disappear so it satisfies the manufacturers need for all races ran so they can demonstrate their new 600's and 1000's, but this produces same machinery, same sound, same people winning, same old same old.

But then again why are we constantly pointing the finger at Honda, the only real manufacturer that has stuck with the TT through thick and thin? When, apart from last year, did we see a full factory team from Yamaha or Suzuki? I know that Hawk Kawasaki stood by the TT, but is this because the races are BSB standard or because they are wanting to do the TT just because it is the TT?

If its because they are BSB standard wouldn't it be a great idea to have the TT ran as a round of the BSB? Include points for those that compete in the BSB rounds, you could run each race with two types of entrant, BSB (red plates) and non BSB (Yellow plates) all in the same race. Yes I know Ducati would be up in arms about it because their machinery couldn't hack it, but it would be good ........ a race or meeting that isn't ran to the whims of the Italians .... WSB to name just one ....plus just keep the plates the same throughout all the practices and races. Save having red plates for practice, yellow plates for the race, confuses the heck out of me I don't know about the rest of you........ Just switch them or have two sets for each race, Red & Yellow, Blue and Black, White and Green.

Oh well my rant over for the year... I can hear Paul breathing a sigh of relief........ lol lol lol
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
17-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28

It has just been announced that Gary Johnson will ride for Uel Duncan Racing - Robinson Concrete Honda at the TT this year. This organisation I believe receives Honda support.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
18-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Maybe someone should ask the question why Joey Dunlops bike was restored just for the Parade lap but was not allowed to be rode, How much did that hurt the Heart down in Japan :wink: :wink:
18-01-2008, 03:43 PM