Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer
thewitch
Unregistered

Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer
Many of you will have known Barry, who, sadly, has died. I will post funeral arrangements if I get them.
As well as knowing him theough his scrutineering work, some of the solo guys may remember him at Spondon.
Condolences to his family and friends from all at TTwebsite.
19-01-2008, 12:01 PM
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9

Thats really sad news. My husband used to work with Barry in engineering back in the 60's and 70's, needless to say he is very upset. We last spoke to Barry at Darley Moor last October and must say that we weren't aware that he was ill. This is yet another sad loss to our sport. Condolences to the family. :cry:
19-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
Barry's Funeral Details
From Tina Hibbett (Barry's Daughter) here.
http://www.steveenglish.com/news.php?extend.823

My thoughts are with the family at this time.
Regards,
Steve E
SteveEnglish
20-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer
From Barry Hibbett's daughter. (as posted on steve's Place)
Hi All

I appreciate I have already done this, but would just like to say thank you again for all of your support, cards and messages over the last few weeks. It is a difficult time and everyones kindness has been of great help.

As promised I said I would let you know how much was raised etc.

The donations in leu of flowers came to £792. This is being matched in full by E-ON UK, and has been donated to the ACU Benevolent Fund.

The £10,000 donated by Dad to Mallory Park Medical Centre Fund has bought, a Med Centre owned Doctors Car (Silver Volvo Estate); 2 De-fibs, a vacu matress and a portable monitor. E-ON will also be adding around a further 2k to the donation.

For anyone who missed me talking about this, Dads donation to the Med Centre follows a conversation we had some time ago about if there was anything he wanted me to do outside of his will with the estate.

After the sport had been part of his life for over 50 years he felt this would be a fitting way of being able to put something back to a sport he had been part of for so long as a rider and official. I have to say in the purchases made for the Med Centre, Mark Jessup has absolutely captured the essence of the sentiment, so thank you Mark.

Anyway, keep in touch and as the season has now started will hopefully catch up soon. Please feel free to forward to anyone I have missed.

Yours in Sport

Tina
03-03-2008, 08:29 AM
tina Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I would just like to personally thank everyone for all of their support and good wishes over the last few weeks, and that of the IOM TT organisers and friends who knew Barry so well over many years.

Interestingly there is another post on this site questionning when dad first got involved in the IOM TT in 2006, and I know that there is always a great deal of speculation around officials etc. Dad had some strong views on racing in the UK and i would just like to share a few.

Dad started racing when he was 18, and quit when 34 (1972) after an accident at Cadwell. I dont know when he first went to the Island, but I have found some amazing footage of the Manx in 72/73 77/78, and in 87/89/90 was on the scrutineering team. He spent over 10 years as Chief at British and International level, whilst always continuing to do club meetings. Growing up its was pretty much all I knew.

Whilst he absolutely supported the sport being commercially viable, much to peoples annoyance sometimes Dad was never interested in the politics, it was always about the rider, whether that be around safety or fairness, and at all levels he fought for these core elements throughout.

As with many officials Dad never at any level or any event (SBK/BSB/TT/EMRA/Darley) got paid, and I know that this is difficult in this age, to believe but it is absolute fact. He faced the politics, the demands, the challenges because he was passionate about the sport and the people in it, and not for financial or ego led gain.

We all moan (including me) sometimes about officials and red tape, but if Dad was around now he would want to remind everyone that it is your sport, whether as an official or rider or team member etc its really upto you where it goes.

The ballpark average age of a scrutineer these days has to be over 60, but see, very few people when their racing finishes or they run out of moneyRolleyes have the passion, or other demands take over, which means they cant give up their time for free to put back into the sport.

To keep it real we need to remember its not them and us, and without people giving up their freetime to give back to the sport, there actually is no sport. Officials (and particularly Scrutineers) are fast becoming endangered species, who of you out there are going to take over...?

Sermon over smilie

Ultimately to me Dad was Dad he also put alot of pressure on himself for UK racing, but he would have done it all again Im sure. From a family view Im last in the line, he was my dad and I miss him like mad, so the support of everyone in the sport has been amazing, but be warned - am on a one woman mission to bring the average age of a scrutineer down at least a couple of years smilie
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2008, 03:14 PM by tina.)
18-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Hi Tina
It was nice to see a photo of you recently, at the presentation of the vehicle. Keep in touch. We will all remember your Dad.
18-03-2008, 02:57 PM
tina Offline
Just Getting Started

?? You have seen more than me then? where did you see it?
18-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Now you've got me... where did I see it... thought it might have been Stevesplace, but now I think it might have been the ACU magazine, so I'm off to dig it out.....smilie
18-03-2008, 04:47 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Ha! Bikesport News March 11th, page 21... you look a little frozen! Well done.smilie
18-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
You will really miss him Tina,as I am sure all competitors will.As you say,we all moan when a scrutineer picks us up on something, but they know what they are looking for, and it helps to keep us all as safe as possible.A thankless job.Thank you Barry
18-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Find Reply
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9
Smile  RE: Barry Hibbett, Chief EMRA scrutineer and TT Scrutineer
I'm sure you will miss your dad as I'm certain will alot of people. He was a very well known face at Darley Moor and when we go this weekend its hard to believe he won't be there. My husband used to work with him here in Derby in the 70's and they always had a chat when they saw each other.
18-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Find Reply
tina Offline
Just Getting Started

Its been a bit mind blowing to be fair - I dont think even I realised how many people knew him... page 21? at least it wasnt page 3 lol. Just re-read my post - lordy I can waffle. Its just that words are really easy, and since Dads passing its been a huge reminder certainly to me that its your actions that matter most, and Dad certainly made actions count and have led to the messages of respect etc in his death.

The biggest and most lasting tribute to Barry would be if even just a few more people in the racing family pulled together that bit more. Riders etc to consider what it takes to make a meeting happen, (how many people realise that the Clerk has to do risk assessments at meetings Bonk) for officials to remember its ultimately about the riders, and for everyone to remember its all our sport so for heavens sake get involved and look after it. If Dads passing just reminds a few of us, and makes us act even just a little differently sometimes then he'll be up there smiling.
18-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Well said, Tina. Everyone should read your words and heed them. Your Dad would be proud of those sentiments.
18-03-2008, 09:57 PM