Micky Mouse TT Races
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
Micky Mouse TT Races
It looks like Pol Pot and his cronies are now even doing a good job of screwing up the Mickey Mouse 125/250 TT at Billown.

I am pretty certain that when this none event was first announced the races were to be massed starts, now the fat controller has dictated that the races will be started in three waves of 12 starters, apparently this decision is dictated by the ACU and not the decision of the Southern 100 club

The 250 has 32 and the 125 36 starters, grid positions will be determined by practice times and rightly so, there was a lot of shouting about the danger of fast men lapping back markers on the mountain.

The starting of these races in stages will imcrease the risk of riders in the lst wave being caught earlier so where is the sense.

Massed starts at Billown have been the norm since time began looking at the programme for 1982 the grid numbers were.

250 Race 51 starters

350 Race 59 starters

1300 Race 57 starters

The Championsip race IE the fastest riders from each class would have had if memory serves me correct similar numbers.

So now we have the biggest joke TT races in the history of the work greatest road race.

I will reserve my darkest opinions until there are suitably worthy opponebts to enter into combat with.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM by Tom Loughridge.)
08-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Micky Mouse TT Races
I think I'm right in saying that there have been races at Billown that started in waves recently?

I am very nervous of the event in any case. The TT doesn't need it and the consequences of fighting for a TT win on that circuit don't bear thinking about in my opinion.

Again I think I'm right when I say that the event was never given ACU approval prior to the DTL making a public announcement that it would go ahead. I believe they share the same view and this is an attempt to ensure that the racing is run as safely as possible.

Surely the entry requirement will ensure that all riders are of a given standard to minimise the risk of lapped riders. If not, I'm sure you'd be lapped in any case no matter where you started?
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Find Reply
mikec Offline

Threads: 6
Tom,
If they start them in 10 second waves, there shouldnt be a problem,
As you know yourself, that in a 9/10 lap race around there, there is a damm good chance of getting lapped,
Even with a massed start, you can catch people up very early on,
To me that would mean that they need to bring in the Blue flag, at least then the slower guys have got a idea that the quick guys are coming upon them,
This should have been done ages ago, not only for the S100 course, but for the Mountain circuit, From certain laps depending on the race length,

TM
The guys that will be racing there wont be," fighting for a TT win "
They will be enjoying what comes naturally to them,

"Surely the entry requirement will ensure that all riders are of a given standard to minimise the risk of lapped riders. If not, I'm sure you'd be lapped in any case no matter where you started? "

On this point As you dont need the bit of paper from the ACU, you are going to see some people that might suprise you,
Guys that love racing 2 strokes, but have had to sit on the sidelines for the last couple of years because there has been no road circuit apart from Ireland to play on,

And as for the being lapped bit ,that has already been covered

All the best
Mike
08-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
This is a race I take it, not meant to be just a run round or demo of what 2 stroke racing used to be? No, it's the chance of a 'TT win' and it may be very difficult not to try and get your name in the record books.

Some guys may be having a run out, they may well get lapped, that is the danger that Tom Loughridge is talking about I think.
08-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
2 stroke nod Offline

Threads: 4
65 rider to qualify with the fastest 32 to start? Racing in Ireland start in groups - what's all the fuss about?
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
A three-wave start sounds about as ludicrous as the title of the race.
So instead of individual passing maneuvers you are going to have one pack catching another pack then another pack coming through. Whose brilliant idea was that?
The spectators are going to have a hard time sorting that one out as well.
The Billown races I have watched were massed starts and plenty of overtaking took place as you would expect. It looked like good close road racing to me.
What the hell is wrong with massed starts and overtaking anyway? If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
Has anyone got stats on how many incidents have actually been caused by overtaking at Billown?
On the positive side, the races will be well organized as always, the riders will be trying their hardest as usual and everyone will have a great day despite the best efforts of officialdom to stuff it up.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
10-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I think the guys down at the Southern are experianced enough to make the descision either way, but then again the ACU carn't loose. If the Southern club say no way we can do this in the interest of rider safety, the ACU will say that its the club thats being obstructive and then what happens to the support of the Tourist board for the other races the Southern club runs? If they run it and it all goes wrong then the ACU blame the club for this too. They carnt loose.

They, the Tourist Board have already spent a fortune on advertising the races down there an also if it is too dangerous the riders will make the descision not to race, and the Southern club will back the riders to the hilt.

I really can not see any problems as long as the Southern Club are left to it, they have a great amount of expertise and also the knowledge of the circuit and riders too.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
10-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
The lapping problem can be easily solved: make qualifying time no more than 10% more than the pole time. That would ensure that in a ten-lap race, no-one who has not had an off or other delay would get in the way.
The same could apply to the Mountain course races.......maybe with an adjustment to the percentage?
I still think that there is a grave risk of this year being the last, as those running the event continue to have their heads firmly buried in the sand.
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
10-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Find Reply