TT roads open driver quits over car switch
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
RE: TT roads open driver quits over car switch
It is a pity that they didn't invite a tender from Mugabe Motors - they would have got on like a house on fire! Evil
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
08-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
Wantan Offline

Threads: 3
To truthandhonesty - your point about unpaid marshalls is another issue entirely and not relevant to this discussion in my view

To Tomcat - I don't understand the point about Mylchreests providing their cars FREE of charge. So what? Do you not think that if they decided to withdraw their support that another local dealer would have jumped at the chance to step in on the same basis? It's a small island, you're right, but the publicity is still worth more than the cost - especially if you're also a keen amateur rally driver who probably loved every minute of each blast around closed roads.

On a general note - I do concede points about the handling of the change - although we need to be clear who we're aiming our tirades at. It would appear to me that Mr Earnshaw has yet again made a complete hash of what should have been a simple process. He has managed this with amazing regularity in his brief term.
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

Threads: 18
wantan-truthandhonesty had a point re the marshals-the drivers of the roads open and inspection cars are TMs but on 4 wheels not 2 and think their call sign is "pilot", so as well as donating cars to the event the mylchreest family over 3 generations acted as an official for the event and gave up their time just like every other marshal does
08-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

Threads: 2
I think I'm right in saying that David Mylchreest is still welcome as a driver of the car. That job has not been taken away from him, he has chosen to resign.

I agree that it seems that this should have been handled better by the DTL, but I know that at least one other Island dealer did offer cars in the past to be told that Mylchreests have always done it. I can sympathise to a point with Mylchreests, but I can see the benefit to the event as a whole.

As for eight cars, I imagine that course inspections will be more rigerous in respect of spectator safety in future and perhaps the additional cars are essential? If they are used as personal transport it is a cost saving to the event also negating hire car costs and enabling expenditure in other areas?

I would agree that the TT happens due to the goodwill of the Manx people but it must be difficult to juggle priorities when trying to organise an event in which everyone seems to know all the answers to every situation. This kind of public involvement does not occur at many other events worldwide, it just needs sensitive handling.
08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
One has just to type "TT" into Yahoo to see that Audi get the most of the sites that appear, even more than the IOM.

However there is TT electronics, TT insurance, and TT (Sweden) News Agency in amongst the search results.

Has the Isle of Man contacted them for support and sponsorship.

Franky I am sad that another tradition has gone....Mylchreests have been there when they were wanted, ad space or not, so if Audi pull out who will fill the requirement in a couple of years time.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
08-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Wantan Wrote:To truthandhonesty - your point about unpaid marshalls is another issue entirely and not relevant to this discussion in my view

To Tomcat - I don't understand the point about Mylchreests providing their cars FREE of charge. So what? Do you not think that if they decided to withdraw their support that another local dealer would have jumped at the chance to step in on the same basis? It's a small island, you're right, but the publicity is still worth more than the cost - especially if you're also a keen amateur rally driver who probably loved every minute of each blast around closed roads.

On a general note - I do concede points about the handling of the change - although we need to be clear who we're aiming our tirades at. It would appear to me that Mr Earnshaw has yet again made a complete hash of what should have been a simple process. He has managed this with amazing regularity in his brief term.

Wantan I take your point about the value of publicity, but I still feel that Mylchreests probably don't make much in this respect. Unlike Audi they don't have a presence, and hence market, off the Island. With most race fans being come-overs the chances of them buying a car off Mylchreests are slim to none. Thus I'm more inclined to regard their support as being largely altruistic rather than purely commercially driven.

Points made in this thread and the inquest one all lead to the need for the TT (and MGP!) to be run as a professional business. Sadly the days are past when it is possible to regard this as a pure sporting occasion - the money involved and the responsibilities of those involved are now too great. And like any business the processes need to be transparent and honest, and the managers accountable. If this deal was driven by the desire of individuals to obtain themselves a free flashy car to drive around in, that would be gross misconduct occasioning summary dismissal in any company I know.

If indeed there was a genuine commercial case based on income to the DTL, or savings in hire cars, why were Mylchreests and others on the IoM not given adequate time to prepare, submit and refine a bid?

I'm sure they will easily find another course car driver but in David Mylchreest's place I'd also tell them to swivel. It's the loss of trust that's bitter more than the loss of the contract.
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
Bill Bennett, Chairman of the MMCC, has confirmed on iomtt.com that Mylchreests will continue to supply the course car(s) for the Manx.
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Website Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

and surely in these times where the TT is being knocked from all sides we should be keeping our long standing (was going to say senior but won'tSmile might get shot at) and dedicated supporters close and not upset them or lose their support for a very short term monetary gain

2 years of audi coin-useful but can only be spent once
60 yrs support-priceless
09-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
And like any business the processes need to be transparent and honest, and the managers accountable. YahooLmaololPigfly

Er,excuse me but the above quote is very difficult to believe nowadays.I will be watching to see if a Mr.Parker is driving an Audi.He would probably prefer to drive his own car,especially if he still owns reg.no. ACU 1.smilie
09-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
Hilary, he certainly had an 'ACU...' plate as of last October. Haven't seen him since.

David Mylchreest has said on Manx Radio that if Audi were to bail out after two years, then any approach to him would have to be "with kid gloves". It does seem odd to me that this deal should have been awarded to a company that has no presence on the Island.
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Website Find Reply
T-M Offline

sticky Wrote:Hilary, he certainly had an 'ACU...' plate as of last October. Haven't seen him since.

David Mylchreest has said on Manx Radio that if Audi were to bail out after two years, then any approach to him would have to be "with kid gloves". It does seem odd to me that this deal should have been awarded to a company that has no presence on the Island.

Well they don't at the moment but that may change. They are part of one of the worlds largest car manufacturers though, we keep thinking local but isn't this supposed to be an internationally renowned high profile event?

This is just one facet of improving the face of the Isle of Man and the TT to another audience, i.e. the car fraternity. Audi will surely use the event to promote it's cars, possibly worldwide. I don't think you can argue that the decision is in the best interests of the event and the island from a marketing perspective.

I know the rumours of Audi involvement have been around for months not weeks or days. I would think that DM would have been aware of this and should have been informed if he wasn't. I think that is probably the only gripe I would have in his position.

Sorry, but we complain when the TT is run as a knitting circle but bemoan any attempts to bring it out of it's tailspin!
09-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
T-M Wrote:
sticky Wrote:Hilary, he certainly had an 'ACU...' plate as of last October. Haven't seen him since.

Well they don't at the moment but that may change. They are part of one of the worlds largest car manufacturers though, we keep thinking local but isn't this supposed to be an internationally renowned high profile event?

This is just one facet of improving the face of the Isle of Man and the TT to another audience, i.e. the car fraternity. Audi will surely use the event to promote it's cars, possibly worldwide. I don't think you can argue that the decision is in the best interests of the event and the island from a marketing perspective.

I know the rumours of Audi involvement have been around for months not weeks or days. I would think that DM would have been aware of this and should have been informed if he wasn't. I think that is probably the only gripe I would have in his position.

Sorry, but we complain when the TT is run as a knitting circle but bemoan any attempts to bring it out of it's tailspin!
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Oh by the way, Mr Earnshaw has kind of forgotten that the so called local dealership thats no longer wanted also supports other major events ran by the DTL, the Island games for one, at no cost. Guess he could ring Audi to see if they will cover them as well eh? So for those of you are are only looking at the TT, it has a knock on affect to other important events on the Island, so YES it does matter.....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
09-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Find Reply
gary the nurse Offline

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=18348

Minister accepts criticism of Audi deal
10/04/2008 09:10:32

Tourism Minister Adrian Earnshaw has refuted any suggestion there was a 'done deal' for the contract to supply official cars and drivers to for the TT.

It was recently announced Audi had been awarded a two year sponsorship deal, ending a 60 year association with Manx family firm Mylchreests.

Managing Director of the firm, David Mylchreest, said while he accepted Audi would be able to offer a better deal to the Department of Tourism he was unhappy at how the matter had been handled and didn't believe there'd been a level playing field.

He also thought the fact that he had only three days to submit a tender wasn't acceptable, a criticism Mr Earnshaw (pictured) accepts:
10-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Find Reply
Wantan Offline

Threads: 3
DCLUCIE Wrote:Oh by the way, Mr Earnshaw has kind of forgotten that the so called local dealership thats no longer wanted also supports other major events ran by the DTL, the Island games for one, at no cost. Guess he could ring Audi to see if they will cover them as well eh? So for those of you are are only looking at the TT, it has a knock on affect to other important events on the Island, so YES it does matter.....

Sorry - but if Mr Mychreest decides to "take his ball away" and stop supporting other IOM events because he's unhappy about no longer supplying the TT Roads Open cars that's up to him. But absolutely nothing to do with the TT, and therefore this discussion.

In any case - who is suggesting that he (Mr Mylchreest) will withdraw his support from other events? I believe he's already confirmed he'll continue to supply cars for the MGP...see HilaryM's thread on this forum.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2008, 12:44 PM by Wantan.)
10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
samwise Offline

Threads: 4
T-M Wrote:I think I'm right in saying that David Mylchreest is still welcome as a driver of the car. That job has not been taken away from him, he has chosen to resign.

David Mylchreest is the island dealer principal for Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo - I doubt that they would be amused at him driving a car from a rival marque, and thus seeming to endorse it.
10-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Wantan Wrote:Sorry - but if Mr Mychreest decides to "take his ball away" and stop supporting other IOM events because he's unhappy about no longer supplying the TT Roads Open cars that's up to him. But absolutely nothing to do with the TT, and therefore this discussion.

In any case - who is suggesting that he (Mr Mylchreest) will withdraw his support from other events? I believe he's already confirmed he'll continue to supply cars for the MGP...see HilaryM's thread on this forum.

Actually Wantan I think he is on the MMCC committee so thats the real reason he will continue to support the Manx. The DTL run the other events and after how he has been treated then I see no reason why he would offer support to a department that has treated him so badly, at their own admission, which in my oppinion is a back track because they have now realised what they have actually done and lost. As for it not having anything to do with the TT, I think you are gravely mistaken.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
10-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I look forward very much to late August and seeing Mr M do his usual cavalier slides round the course... a good sidecar driver wasted in my humble opinion!!!smilie smilie
10-04-2008, 05:55 PM
T-M Offline

I think that had DM been treated fairly and professionally he would have continued as a driver. It just seems that those two words don't seem to exist in the current climate. Be interesting to see who ends up doing the job..........A bit of DTL engineering again?
15-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Told you so, back on the 24th Jan:

"TT 2012 will be under new sponsorship and will be known as the Audi TT. The road closing car will be an Audi product. This will ensure an income stream which was not available in the past where parochial interests, who will remain nameless, were not charged sponsorship fees."

Of course that was idle speculation but if you want my real opinion, then I don't think the TT needs a course CAR at all; a brightly painted sidecar or solo bike would do just as well.

The Audi TT was to commemorate Tazio Nuvolari who drove their grand prix cars, he was famous for winning the Ulster TT in an MG. The car's name TT has nothing to do with the IOM TT because as everyone knows Nuvolari was unfairly prevented from starting there because he was carrying an injury; a policy which has not been applied evenly over the years, if anyone can remember Robert Dunlop one time throwing away his crutch at the prize giving ceremony.

I think a major beer sponsor will be next.
Ahhhh The Fosters TT, that would go down well.
But then again one of the locals would probably claim royalties on the use of his name.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
16-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Find Reply