Bennetts BSB is go, go, go!
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Bennetts BSB is go, go, go!
Tension is mounting in the 2008 Bennetts British Superbike Championship paddock ahead of the opening round of the series, which takes place at Thruxton this weekend. Teams and riders had initially been prepared for the season opener at Brands Hatch on 4-6 April, but were disappointed when heavy snowfall on race day resulted in the abandonment of all track activity.

The Brands Hatch event - which traditionally kick-starts the BSB season - has been rescheduled for 10-11 May, meaning that the first round officially takes place at the Thruxton airfield venue in Hampshire on Sunday. Although weather forecasts already look unpredictable for the weekend ahead, riders are preparing for the event with renewed optimism.

The 2008 Bennetts British Superbike series welcomes some newcomers as well some familiar faces to the paddock this weekend. British favourites Leon Haslam (HM Plant Honda Racing), Leon Camier and Shane Byrne (both Airwaves Ducati) return to the grid looking for victory this season. However, they can expect a tough time from the likes of Tom Sykes (Rizla Suzuki), who impressed in 2007, and his team-mate and Japanese Superbike Champion Atsushi Watanabe.

Other familiar faces to return to the premier domestic Superbike championship this weekend include Sheffield's Karl Harris, who rides for Rob McElnea's new-look Yamaha outfit, and Michael Rutter who will be racing under the guise of North West 200 Ducati.

In addition, all eyes will be on Pirelli, who take over as the control tyre supplier to the Bennetts British Superbike and Supersport classes for the next three years. It's hoped that the appointment of a single tyre supplier to the series will increase competitiveness between factory and privateer riders across the grid.

Team Suzuki Press Release 1

Tough Thruxton qualifying for Rizla Suzuki

THE Rizla Suzuki team had a dramatic qualifying session today at Thruxton in Hampshire for round two of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship, with Atsushi Watanabe finishing in 11th and Tom Sykes in 12th.

Wet and blustery weather made conditions difficult on the 2.4 mile high speed track, but the Rizla Suzuki racers worked steadily at reducing their lap times throughout free practice.

During the damp 50-minute qualifying session Sykes crashed at Noble corner without injury. “The session started out OK but I decided to try a harder rear tyre which didn’t feel great,” explained Sykes. “I got a clear run out to the back of the circuit and was in fourth gear when the rear let go. It took up a lot of the session trying to get back out again on my number two machine.

“The third row of the grid is not where I had expected to be but it is a long race and I’m going out there tomorrow to bag as many points as possible," he concluded.

Atsushi worked hard learning the high speed circuit and was aiming for a top 10 qualifying. He said: “This is my first time on Pirelli tyres in wet conditions and on UK circuit in rain. I wanted better position but on my last try for fast lap there were many slow riders. Lots of different conditions on track too, some drying lines and some wet lines. I’m still learning but I think I can go faster tomorrow.”

Jack Valentine, Team Manager commented: “I had a chat with Atsushi after free practice and we agreed he was aiming for a top 10 so I’m really pleased that he was moving up the order and qualified 11th. He is still adapting to the faster parts of the track but on the slower sections he is able to stick with the BSB regulars.

“As for Tom he was in contention for the front row of the grid until he tried a harder rear and that is when the bike came round on him, he high sided losing a lot of time. He went back out on his second bike but by the time he got up to speed he had a lot of traffic to contend with. A good start tomorrow and I’m confident he can still run at the front.”

Pole position was set by Ducati’s Shane Byrne with a time of 1min19.704secs. The race action kicks off tomorrow at 1300 followed by race two at 1530. This will be the first British Superbike race of 2008 since round one of the championship at Brands Hatch was cancelled due to heavy snow. The racing and will be shown live on Eurosport from 1230, with a highlights programme broadcast on Channel 4 at 0110 on Tuesday 22nd April.

Qualifying Results:

1: Shane Byrne (Ducati) 1:19.704

2: Leon Haslam (Honda) +0.168

3: Michael Rutter (Ducati) +0.245

4: Cal Crutchlow (Honda) +0.322

5: Karl Harris (Yamaha) +0.668

6: Leon Camier (Ducati) +0.787

7: Adam Jenkinson (Honda) +1.138

8: Michael Laverty (Suzuki) +1.154

9: John Laverty (Ducati) +1.501

10: Sean Emmett (Yamaha) +1.652

11: ATSUSHI WATANABE (RIZLA SUZUKI) +1.674

12: TOM SYKES (RIZLA SUZUKI) +1.694
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
19-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Gixxer Bob Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Bennetts BSB is go, go, go!
Thanks for the info. I didn't realise that the race was on- the TV listing in my weekend newspaper doesn't list Eurosport2!! Time to get a new newspaper.
Rob
19-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

http://www.tsl-timing.com/ to keep up to date.
19-04-2008, 09:59 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

And don't forget to look out for Dan Kneen too!
20-04-2008, 03:49 PM
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
how good was that supersport race! Excellent stuff.
SteveEnglish
20-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Hmm... didn't see it... was up at the grandstand, for the ACU timing tests. Great fun, lots of lovely people, including some ttwebsite members.
Did get the result of the first Superbike, from well known TTwebsite member, Stella!smilie
20-04-2008, 04:04 PM