newbie to here and tt
vodkacat Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
newbie to here and tt
Hi everyone. been reading your threads for a few months now but not yet posted till today. ( shy) ;-)
have tried to look thru and search threads for some answers, got some but wondered if you would take the time to answer a few for me? (soz if in a thread and i have missed)
am going for the practice week, first time we ever been, am taking hubby for his birthday and our anniversary pressy, also taking our sons age 10 and 12. Any tips on what to do/where to go in our week there, ie what should we def do? ( or poss def NOT go/do?)
the saver tickets for the buses etc, are they worth buying ? have got car but thought family of four, having a holiday perhaps we could hop on and off transport?
and finally for now, do i need to sort out a pass to park anywhere or is that just certain areas you need a pass?
Hey thanks for reading, getting really excited about what i hope will be a great week for us .
20-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: newbie to here and tt
I'll just contribute a bit here on the buses to get things moving. Yes, buy the 7 day (or whatever) tickets. I think, if I remember right, that an adult ticket entitles a child to travel free.. so particularly good value. My daughter uses them when she comes across, even if she brings the car, as the kids find it part of the fun of the holiday, and she doesn't have to drive.
Don't forget we also have steam trains, electric railway and horse trams. You can get all the way up the Mountain on a Victorian train... an experience not to be missed.
All the info on public transport is available in the Sea Terminal, where the boat drops you.
Welcome to TTwebsite, and look forward to seeing you while you are across.Good Witch
20-04-2008, 08:42 PM
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
The good thing about practice week is that you've got all day to explore the Island before practice starts at 6.15pm - roads close at 6pm. Probably the best thing to do is stop by the info desk (welcome centre I think they call it...) at the sea terminal, where you'll be able to pick up info on all the touristy stuff.

You won't need any kind of parking pass for the circuit but the towns tend to have 'disc parking' zones, which are free of charge but there may be waiting limits, so you need to display your disc. You can get one of those from the welcome centre too.

How long are you over for?
20-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Website Find Reply
vodkacat Offline
Just Getting Started

Hi thanks for starting the ball rolling. and thanks for the info. am over from 24th , having to leave early saturday 31st. it the school holiday week so am being good by not taking em out of school time, altho if we have a great time (sure we will) and hubby and the kids work on me no doubt we will have to come back for either the race week or perhaps the full two weeks sometime soon? ;-) must admit am getting pretty excited about it and didnt expect to. kids go back to school tomorrow after their two week break , they dont wanna go back so told them that the next holiday they get we are at tt so they got to go to school and make the weeks go quick. ps, the welcome thing at the terminal, i take it when we drive off the boat we can then park somewhere to go to the welcome desk? (sorry i must seem so dumb!!)
20-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
alf885 Offline

Threads: 46
Well firstly you're in for a great holiday and I suspect it won't just be practice week next year!

There's loads happening during practice week, Classic racing down at Billown, Castletown, evening practice every night of the week on the TT course and your own personal bike show everywhere you look. All free Yahoo

There are so many other attractions around the island that you'll probably need much more time than just one week to see them all. I've been going to the IOM since '76 and I still haven't seen it all. Best kept secret - some of the best coastal scenery and walks on the planet.

There's a thread here somewhere that lists what's on right through the month of May and links to all the important sites with tons of info. via the home page but start here http://www.visitisleofman.com/

Motoring tips - pick up a free parking disc on the ferry you'll need that in Douglas especially - observe the speed limits in the towns and villages they are enforced rigourously during TT - watch out for bikes at all times, some can be travelling much quicker than you think.

Have a good time, alf.
20-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

You could always join us on the Early Morning Practice Bus on the Friday morning... early....
That would give you a lap of the TT course, with educated (hahahaha) comments from our commentators... Cargo and Nick Jefferies... let you meet the TTwebsite's most infamous members and perhaps a rider or two.
Must finish the organising of it, do the posters etc!smilie
20-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
If you click on this LINK it will take you to the TT2008 Section of the Forum where I have posted a downloadable pdf file of what is on throughout the build up and during this years TT.

If I receive more information before the end of the month, I shall post an updated pdf file for download.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
20-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Website Find Reply
vodkacat Offline
Just Getting Started

hi, if that the fri 30th, sounds very interesting, be interested for more info when you have it. depending where from and how early ;-) i ok its getting the others up!! will keep my eyes peeled yeh best get the posters done, less than five weeks now. have started counting the weeks, shouldnt , makes the weeks drag ;-(
20-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
vodkacat Wrote:hi, if that the fri 30th, sounds very interesting, be interested for more info when you have it. depending where from and how early ;-) i ok its getting the others up!! will keep my eyes peeled yeh best get the posters done, less than five weeks now. have started counting the weeks, shouldnt , makes the weeks drag ;-(

Let me add my twopennorth!
In here, you have a group of people whose collective and even
individual experience rns into many years.
There are people here (the likes of theWitch, Larry, Cargo, myself and several others who like nothing better than to pass on our
knowledge to all, especially newbies!
I urge you to join the bus as it will be a unique experience, I
gurantee! There is nothing like it as a short cut to lots of
TT info.
In the meantime, if I can be of any help between now and the start
of practice or even on the Island, please ask.
Just be aware that once you open the box that is TT visiting, you
wont be able to get the lid back on!
I popped over in 1967 and am still fighting the addiction!
There are many like me.....
Beware.....

All joking aside, I envy you your first visit.
Enjoy
MV
21-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Michael Offline

Threads: 6
If you have a little bit of time have a look on the "Gruseleck" by the Dhoon.
For more information see http://www.gruseleck.de
Michael
23-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Website Find Reply