Unregistered

RE: Well said, Matty
thewitch Wrote:http://www.manx.net/poll/ShowPoll.asp?SurveyID=77

The pole does not ask the real questions,
27-04-2008, 08:42 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

Yes, the questions could be more direct, but surely, if they think the money should be spent, then, by definition, they expect the races to be run, and want that to happen.
I think you are rtight about press launches etc, as they are all preaching to the converted. We need to get over to those who neither care one way nor the other, what's in it for them, and get them to know the competitotrs, so they don't see them as outsiders who arrive, cause mayhem and leave.
When managing change it is always those who are indifferent who carry the change forward (usually about 60%), driven by the enthusiasts (15%)... maybe as well as a Safety Officer, we need a Change Manager!
My only worry about the school twinning exercise would be if something happens to their rider. That could be counter productive, and damaging for the youngsters? The Scouts are obviously involved, so how about starting there? A knowledge badge about the TT?smilie
27-04-2008, 08:49 AM
FC
Unregistered

thewitch Wrote:Yes, the questions could be more direct, but surely, if they think the money should be spent, then, by definition, they expect the races to be run, and want that to happen.
I think you are rtight about press launches etc, as they are all preaching to the converted. We need to get over to those who neither care one way nor the other, what's in it for them, and get them to know the competitotrs, so they don't see them as outsiders who arrive, cause mayhem and leave.
When managing change it is always those who are indifferent who carry the change forward (usually about 60%), driven by the enthusiasts (15%)... maybe as well as a Safety Officer, we need a Change Manager!
My only worry about the school twinning exercise would be if something happens to their rider. That could be counter productive, and damaging for the youngsters? The Scouts are obviously involved, so how about starting there? A knowledge badge about the TT?smilie

Helen it Did Joakin lost his life at the TT but the children and my own learned that he Joakim lost his life at something he loved and wanted to do,
27-04-2008, 07:21 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Well done, then, Colin. My own children, and now grandchildren, are as devoted to the sport as I am, but they know its sadness too. However, they also know that Steven Hislop died in a helicopter, Hailwood killed by a bad driver, and that people like their beloved school janny die when you don't want them to. Life is tough, but you are right... better to die doing what you love than wiped out by a lout in a lorry.
27-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Paul Phillips Offline

Threads: 39
Last year I worked with the DOE on TT initiatives which were subsequently included in the syllabus in the Junior Schools for the term before the 2007 event. An excellent guy Lindsay Rhiordan (a Teacher and TT Marshal) at the DOE was actually seconded onto TT work for the schools and scores of projects were completed around the Island.

This association continues and we regularly send competitors into the schools to talk to the children at all ages, and the Trophies have even gone on tour around the schools.

Plans for TT related work continue and there is a possible Dainese safety tie up with the schools about to begin which is pretty exciting.

Paul
27-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Find Reply
steve-e Offline

Threads: 6
Well done Paul, yet again. Don't suppose you fancy a job in Luton? Big Grin
SteveEnglish
27-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Excellent, Paul... keep us posted.
27-04-2008, 09:35 PM
FC
Unregistered

Paul just a thought, years ago the Police used to put on a party for all the kids of the Island known as the Police Treat. Could the DOTL not do something like that, say at The Villa, show the film No Limit, bit of food etc, a goody bag ect, have a few of the teams and riders down as well, It would leave a lasting impression on the kids if done right and im sure the parents would be up for it too.
28-04-2008, 11:45 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

You're working well, Colin!smilie
28-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
thewitch Wrote:You're working well, Colin!smilie

I agree. You have to involve the kids. They then go home and urge the mums and dads, grannies and grandpops to be involved also. Getting through to today's children may help the future of the TT.
28-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
Couldn't agree more about getting and keeping the kids involved. My first exposure to the TT was when my parents took my twin brother and me to the 1964 TT when we were 4 years old. We were hooked and apart from 1966 when the old chap couldn't get the holiday rebooked, neither of us has missed a TT since.

In fact, I cannot remember a time in my life when the TT wasn't part of it.
29-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Website Find Reply