Manx Radio - today
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Manx Radio - today
With just over 31 days to go until the start of T.T. 2008, time is running out for T.T. organisers to resolve a number of issues.

The position of Chief Marshal, the Department of Transport inquiry, spectator access and marshal recruitment are the main topics of interest.

No Chief Marshal is in place following the resignation of Roger Hurst. He stood down after critcism from the Coroner Michael Moyle in his report at the end of the inquest into the triple fatality at the 26th Milestone during last year's Senior race.

The Department of Transport is conducting an independent investigation into the Coroner's findings, which included severe comments against Director of Highways Bruce Hannay. Mr Hannay is a member of the T.T. Co-ordinating Committee.

Spectators are still uncertain where they will be able to watch this year's practice and race sessions from. A comprehensive guide of all the prohibited areas around the Mountain Course has yet to be published.

Marshal recruitment levels are said to be in line with previous years' numbers with a month to go.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
24-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: Manx Radio - today
Keep calm, folks. DON'T PANIC!
24-04-2008, 09:44 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Frankly in my humble opinion, it is time someone sat down or even knelt down and begged Roger Hurst to return to the job he knows and has performed successfully for a great number of years.

I'm sorry he felt it necessary to resign because resignation implies guilt or failure. With Roger this is certainly not true and with the TT so close to being run, there is no one with such experience as Roger, able to carry out the job as required by the circumsatances of the TT.

"Bring back Roger and now" must be the cry, and I personally hope something is being organised to get him back.

If there seems to be a problem, incorporate a suitable assistant to spread the workload.

I don't think people are actually panicking-----yet but something must be done to resolve this...and quickly !!!

The Isle of Man can pull the cat out of the bag generally but in this case we must have Roger back and in charge..
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
25-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

m.
ian huntly Wrote:Frankly in my humble opinion, it is time someone sat down or even knelt down and begged Roger Hurst to return to the job he knows and has performed successfully for a great number of years.

I'm sorry he felt it necessary to resign because resignation implies guilt or failure. With Roger this is certainly not true and with the TT so close to being run, there is no one with such experience as Roger, able to carry out the job as required by the circumsatances of the TT.

"Bring back Roger and now" must be the cry, and I personally hope something is being organised to get him back.

If there seems to be a problem, incorporate a suitable assistant to spread the workload.

I don't think people are actually panicking-----yet but something must be done to resolve this...and quickly !!!

The Isle of Man can pull the cat out of the bag generally but in this case we must have Roger back and in charge..

Just goes to show how backward the TT has become, why has no one been trained up to take over the role of chief marshall in the event of something like this happening. Most companys would have had this problem well sorted out, its what Mr Moyle has being try to tell them, not enought thought or training
26-04-2008, 07:04 AM
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
Here here, I always try to avoid taking sides with anybody who criticizes organisers of any event as I am not in the position of knowing the circumstances or implications that dictate some outcomes but it very worrying that there is nobody to step in to the shoes of somebody so important to the running of such a massive event as the TT. The replacement of the chief martial should have been covered in the event of something happening to who ever it maybe such as an accident or illness which would render them incapable. This is a matter that needs addressing who ever takes over the post.
(This post was last modified: 26-04-2008, 01:24 PM by oggy.)
26-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
ian huntly Wrote:- - - - - -

Yes, back and in charge with sufficient BACK-UP and support!!!
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
27-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Chris Maybury Wrote:
ian huntly Wrote:- - - - - -

Yes, back and in charge with sufficient BACK-UP and support!!!

Sorry Chriss . Roger has spat the dummy out of the pram to many times, he had the chance to stay and fight, maybe his age has taken its toll. Time to change the story and move on.
27-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
Was there a deputy chief marshall? Surely that would be who would be expected to take over?
28-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I don't think so. I understand what Roger had planned to do was to train his successor this year, as he intended retiring. In the light of comments made at the inquest, he decided to resign. However, many of the procedures he and the TTMA have developed over recent years, and the new checks introduced at the MGP last year and now the TT have improved the standard of marshalling, and this will continue whoever takes over, I am sure. It is, however, important someone is appointed to be the final arbiter in marshalling matters.
28-04-2008, 02:04 PM