Schumacher
Joe Grant Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Schumacher
From an impact website

"Bernie Ecclestone has questioned the rationale behind Michael Schumacher's increasing outings on two wheels, suggesting the German racing legend is risking ‘getting himself seriously injured'.
Schumacher claimed a record seven world drivers' titles during his career in Formula 1 from mid-1991 to the end of 2006, and since stepping down from the top flight has conducted a number of tests aboard Casey Stoner's championship-winning Ducati MotoGP bike.
In addition to that the 39-year-old made his maiden racing appearance on a KTM machine at Misano in Italy last month – finishing an impressive fourth having dropped back as far as 14th early on, with the race's second-fastest lap to his name to boot
Now, however, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone – a man who started out as a motorcycle dealer himself – has added his concerns to those of former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt, pointing to the irony of Schumacher's latest ‘hobby' given how much of a vociferous campaigner for improved safety he had been during his time in grand prix racing.
“In Formula One he was always pushing for more and more safety,” the 77-year-old is quoted as having said by two-wheeled website Visordown. “Now he's racing a motorcycle!
“I don't quite understand why he would now risk getting himself seriously injured. It makes no sense to me.”

I dont quite understand either why a 77 year old billionaire would want to spend his advancing and diminishing years running Formula 1 and creating even more wealth for himself.
Perhaps the same kind of buzz that Mr E gets from doing deals and making money is experianced by Mr S when he throws his leg over a bike and thrashes it to within an inch of its (and his) life.
I,m sure I am not alone in saying a big hurrah for Schumacher whom in his racing days I always considered a brilliant but arrogant Tutonic square-head.
It got me thinking if there are any other sporting or public figures whos profile would be enhanced by taking a shine to bikes.
John Arne Riise doing club meetings at Aintree could head the wrong way and would be forgiven...
Gordon Brown doing at flat 50 second lap at Knockhill would not be cosidered boring...
Josef Fritzl doing a 9 minite lap Nurbergring could we forgive him for making secret adjustments in the lower areas of his KTM?
Answers on a postcard please......
01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Schumacher
Bernie Ecclestone's wife (is she really going out with him? what attracted you to billionaire Bernie Ecclestone? etc) could clearly do with getting her leg over a proper sport bike rather than a wee 125 like Bernie.
01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Now, now, that small person once leapt to my defence (needlessly)...smilie
01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Bernie
And Bernie, when a car salesman in Bexleyheath, was a grass tracker down at Brands Hatch, dicing it with Murray Walker et al.
So he was one of us - then!
01-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Phil Windrum Offline

Threads: 5
thewitch Wrote:Now, now, that small person once leapt to my defence (needlessly)...smilie

Tell us more
02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Find Reply