Injured riders
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Injured riders
Can I just agree totally with everything Smokey has said. Its better to give the correct information when known than to second guess a situation that can change from one moment to the next.

The Hospital does a fantastic job, but lets not forget the invaluable service and commitment to the riders people like Wynn Evans supplies during the racing on the TT course. I believe that Wynn should get more praise than she gets and think she should at least get a huge gong for all her hard work under, what can be, very very difficult circumstances. I for one wouldn't want her job for a big gold clock.

Well done Wynn and all those who look after the riders, you are a credit to the racing world and our little Isle.

Be safe and have a great TT all.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
29-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

I'd second all that.
Three cheers for Wyn.
I would also reiterate what I said before NO RUMOURS or CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.
Good luck... I'm really looking forward to another fantastic TT!
29-05-2008, 01:07 PM
ALP Offline

Threads: 2
As Smokey has said, it is very difficult for the organisers.

An incident gets reported, say at the Waterworks. AirMed and a TM will be sent. Race Control will be monitoring what the marshals at the scene are doing and ensuring that the appropriate flags etc are being displayed before and after the incident. It can be at least a few minutes before Race Control have any idea as to who the rider involved actually is - let alone know what their condition is. It is only once AirMed arrives on scene, lands, the Doctor and Paramedic can assess the casualty, load them into the helicopter and then they will give Race Control an update on the condition. Until that time, what can the organisers tell the team?

Which sentance out of "he has been involved in an incident but we don't know anything else" or "he has been involved in an incident, and is currently on his way to Nobles with a broken leg" is more reassuring to the team/relatives? The first is very open ended and ends up in the team presuming the worst. Those extra minutes allow the organisers to be able to give the team the right information. If he is OK but prehaps has a broken arm, then not all the relatives/team need to race up to Nobles. However if it is a bit more serious, then the relatives may be asked to make their way up to Nobles and the Doctors up there can then inform the relatives of the exact conditions once they have assessed them.

Also, in a race, contacting the Pit Crew is easy as they are are lined up along Pit Lane. During a practice, it's not the easiest thing to find a team within the Grandstand area, plus sometimes it not the sort of message you can pass over a mobile phone.....
29-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Its been said that Mick Charnock joined the chopper club tonight, came off at Black hut, not serious
29-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
FC Wrote:Its been said that Mick Charnock joined the chopper club tonight, came off at Black hut, not serious

Not Seriuos! VERY VERY GOOD, if the above post is correct. I should have waited for fact first, sorry
I can fix anything!
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2008, 10:56 PM by Shaun Harris.)
29-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Find Reply
Dusty Offline

Threads: 3
Mountain Box, not Black Hut and unfortunately damaged his legs ...again, after his big off on the approach to Glen Helen a couple of years ago. Get well soon Mick.
29-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Find Reply