Radio TT, the facts
FC
Unregistered

Radio TT, the facts
I have just recieved a reply from the MD of Manx Radio over the costings of radio TT.

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Manx Radio broadcasts Manx Radio TT from the Isle of Man on its AM frequency AM1368. This covers the whole Island and reaches as far afield as Ireland, Northwest England, North Wales and Scotland. In the past Manx Radio has streamed Manx Radio TT on line via manxradio.com but, as this only has the capacity for 100 people to listen at any one time, it was not considered a satisfactory solution for the future.

Since 2007 the IOM TT www site has been the responsibility of DUKE Marketing. The site iomtt.com provides a world - class resource for the Island with massive coverage of the TT. Manx Radio decided to put the streaming of Manx Radio TT exclusively via iomtt.com as it enables many more people both on and off the Isle of Man the opportunity to engage with the TT coverage at a much higher level. Manx Radio TT provides its streaming of the event on a non-profit making basis in order to provide a level of service it could otherwise not envisage.

For those who do not have access to the internet, Manx Radio TT is still broadcast on AM1368. For those who do not have access to an AM receiver, special Manx Radio TT earpiece radios can be purchased at outlets at all over the Isle of Man. These are also supplied via Manx Radio TT on a non - profit making basis.

Manx Radio and Manx Radio TT strive to provide a high quality service via as many channels as possible. In order to meet the largest audience possible the station has to look at the economic viability of the situation. This may involve the station in developing partnerships in order to satisfy the needs of the many, as we have with DUKE Marketing. Unfortunately, there will always be those that we cannot, for various reasons, reach via the channels available.

Kind regards

Anthony Pugh

Managing Director

Manx Radio

Broadcasting House

PO 1368

Douglas

Isle of Man

IM99 1SW
28-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Mad_Sunday Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Radio TT, the facts
FC Wrote:I have just recieved a reply from the MD of Manx Radio over the costings of radio TT.

Dear Colin,

blah,blah,blah >snip<

Just wondering how many of us are still listening without paying? smilie

Apart from me? Yahoo

Pete
Hackintosh laptop, cos it's cheaper than a Mac but works the same Icon_biggrin
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2008, 05:29 PM by Mad_Sunday.)
28-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Find Reply
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
I live in Morecambe and pick up 1368 no probs so I am listening for free.
28-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
[/quote]Just wondering how many of us are still listening without paying? smilie

Apart from me? Yahoo

Pete
[/quote]

I would be, but there is nowt to listen to.....seems these days everyone is scared to get a drop of rain on their fancy leathers......
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
28-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Find Reply
missbiker Offline

Threads: 0
Did he say world-class resource??? smilie

Are these people for real?? Rolleyes
missy Yahoo
28-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Find Reply
Braddan_Bridge Offline
Just Getting Started

IM99 1SW
[/quote Wrote:

Apart from me? Yahoo

Pete

how are you managing for free? is it online?
28-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Find Reply
Mad_Sunday Offline

Apart from me? Yahoo

Pete
[/quote]

I would be, but there is nowt to listen to.....seems these days everyone is scared to get a drop of rain on their fancy leathers......
[/quote]

Music's still good and you feel connected.........know what I mean?

Think it's smashed bikes and broken bones that is what they (and we) are scared of!

The present reports about changes to viewpoints is interesting tho'

Pete
28-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Find Reply
Braddan_Bridge Offline
Just Getting Started

Apart from me? Yahoo

Pete
[/quote]

[/quote
Practice has always been quiet when wet and they always cancel racing if its bad and with low cloud. It has nothing to do with the riders not wanting to get there leatheres wet its because its too dangerous and the air ambulance cant fly.
28-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Find Reply
Mad_Sunday Offline

Braddan_Bridge Wrote:
IM99 1SW

Apart from me? Yahoo

Pete
[/quote Wrote:how are you managing for free? is it online?

Yes it's online and LEGAL. You need to do a bit of digging around tho'

Pete
28-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Find Reply
Braddan_Bridge Offline
Just Getting Started

The facts are plain and simple really, since the demise of the tourist industry in the isle of man the TT has become some bisinesses main source of decent income. Hence the high prices for travel accomodation food etc. Man radio is just doing what the majority of businesses do there making money from the event. Thing is they shouldnt they make enough money from advertising during the fortnight to ensure that this service should be provided free.
28-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

It all comes back to what I have said before: the heads-in-sand organisers have allowed the permitted machinery to become too dangerous to ride in normal British weather - let alone Manx weather!
The powers-that-be are absolutely terrified - much more so than the riders I am sure - of there being a serious crash. Years ago the maxim in the Island was 'the throttle works both ways', and riders had the good sense to ride within their limits, and take the chance to learn what the course was like in rain, mist and whatever. How many of the current batch can 'count' their way round the mountain section - knowing it well enough to ride at 80+ percent in very poor visibility?
It is no longer a true test of road racing.
I remember when men were men and sheep were nervous.......:-)
28-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Speaking a marshal who has been frozen through, every practice so far, I am relieved to have a night off!
28-05-2008, 06:40 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I do think that it is interesting when one of the commentators says with his obvious short term memory loss, that races do not take place in the wet anymore... cods wollop .... Joeys, in my oppinion, greatest wins were in the wet. The only real reason there hasn't been any wet races lately is low cloud, they might reduce the number of laps but there is nothing to say it can not be run in the wet if the mountain is clear and the helicopter can get everywhere safely. In my oppinion its the top teams being slightly nervous about not winning, levels the field a little does the odd downpour ... remember Chris Guy and also Cap Davies? Their races were stopped on the advice based on top teams because their riders were out ....... and this took away their much deserved victories.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
29-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Oh my aching sides smilie

I finished my last race on the IoM soaking wet, from the cloudburst I encountered at Crosby at the beginning of lap 3 and ran back into at Onchan at the end of lap 4 Bonk Still, no more wet or misty practices it seems. I well remember picking my way across the mountain in "mist" you couldn't see both sides of the road in while the experienced old hands flew past me 30mph faster. It was a good incentive to learn the course! Now they usually won't send you out in practice if there's a shower of rain somewhere on the course or the trace of a cloud up top. In case any kittens playing in the road get maimed. C'est la vie.

And as for Radio TT being non profitmaking, excuse me if I snigger. Pigfly

In Manx Radio's defence, I have enjoyed many Saturday nghts in front of the computer with a few tinnies soaking up the timeless ambience of the Island for free, so they ain't all bad Smile
29-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Website Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

DCLUCIE Wrote:In my oppinion its the top teams being slightly nervous about not winning, levels the field a little does the odd downpour ... remember Chris Guy and also Cap Davies? Their races were stopped on the advice based on top teams because their riders were out ....... .

I remember the race as if it was yesterday, it should never have been run, I had both my riders off and two bikes wrecked, rider were coming off at Greeba bridge like skittles, they missed the best weather that day
29-05-2008, 09:44 PM
PeterCourtney Offline

FC Wrote:I had both my riders off and two bikes wrecked, rider were coming off at Greeba bridge like skittles,
This couldn't have been partly because riders had not had the opportunity to practice in the wet, and are allowed less and less chances to race on anything other than dry roads with slicks, I suppose? smilie
30-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
The Cap Davies win is a myth.

McCallen stopped for wets and took a huge amount of time out of him on the next lap. If they kept lapping like that McCallen would have been in the lead by lap 4.

Appologies to romantics.

Sam
30-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

FC Wrote:
DCLUCIE Wrote:In my oppinion its the top teams being slightly nervous about not winning, levels the field a little does the odd downpour ... remember Chris Guy and also Cap Davies? Their races were stopped on the advice based on top teams because their riders were out ....... .

I remember the race as if it was yesterday, it should never have been run, I had both my riders off and two bikes wrecked, rider were coming off at Greeba bridge like skittles, they missed the best weather that day

So you are basing that on a pure financial basis then Colin ... two wrecked bikes...... you should get a job with the organisers based on your 'only for a buck' attitude..... either that or Manx Radio ....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
30-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

DCLUCIE Wrote:
FC Wrote:

So you are basing that on a pure financial basis then Colin ... two wrecked bikes...... you should get a job with the organisers based on your 'only for a buck' attitude..... either that or Manx Radio ....

Were you asleep that friday, the weather was the worst ive seen race in at the TT, Greeba bridge was like a river no wets would have coped with it. Presure was put on the riders to start the race, if they had not they would have lost a lot of money by way of start money and special start money as it was called in them days (travel allowance).
One of my riders started at 20th and was in 7th by the time he came off on the 1st lap at Greeba.
30-05-2008, 12:46 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

FC Wrote:
DCLUCIE Wrote:
FC Wrote:

Were you asleep that friday, the weather was the worst ive seen race in at the TT, Greeba bridge was like a river no wets would have coped with it. Presure was put on the riders to start the race, if they had not they would have lost a lot of money by way of start money and special start money as it was called in them days (travel allowance).
One of my riders started at 20th and was in 7th by the time he came off on the 1st lap at Greeba.

Actually .. no I wasn't asleep .... though looking back it would have been a good option...... but then again I would have missed a great race. I was watching from the top of Bray Hill in a mates garden. We were thinking of going fishing later but just decided to get the rods out where we were... never caught a thing.. .... but you can not take it away from the fact that it was a great race ... just not for you colin .......Bonk
30-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Find Reply