A TT MESSAGE TO INGRID & JERRY
THIS PAIR
[Image: 00285ttlovehate_snippy.jpg]

IF YOU DONT LIKE IN FOOK OFF BACK TO THE UK
29-05-2008, 04:23 PM
oggy Offline

Threads: 2
RE: IOM Newspapers Drum Up The Anti-TT Lobby
Jerry says that a lot of people would like a quite fortnight does that mean that 25 quite fortnights in the year aren't enough. News papers can always find somebody to say something controversial it gives them there 15 minutes of fame don't be suck in.
29-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
John Foster Wrote:http://www.iomtoday.co.im/tt/TT-Festival...4126416.jp

I've already responded.

There's also some interesting stuff on the BBCs IoM site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/isleofman/tt/

Some of it is VERY positive as well as the usual moaners, who really should just clear off for the fortnight (as many of them do) and do their quiet, boring things for the rest of the year.

You'll probably also recognise several of the contributers from this site and others.

I also suspect that many of the (miserable) folks who go away over TT and MGP fortnights actually make a nice little profit by renting their homes out whilst they're away...

Anyway, must go and eat before tonight's practice.

Boakesey
....scone out to take photos!
29-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
hE HATES THE DEATHS.

HE HATES THE HANGERS ON.

HE HATES THE MONEY GRUBBERS. (HUCKSTERS AND SNAKE OIL MERCHANTS)

WELL HE AIN'T THE ONLY ONE
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
29-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Find Reply
hayley mills Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
FC Wrote:A TT MESSAGE TO INGRID & JERRY
THIS PAIR

IF YOU DONT LIKE IN FOOK OFF BACK TO THE UK

I remember Ingrid when she taught in my school - 30 years ago! She's been here a lot longer than many people.

People are entitled to their opinion. At least they go on holiday and stay out of it.
29-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Find Reply
Wilddog Offline

Threads: 1
Quote: He said promoting the Island as the road racing capital of the world was 'detrimental' because it put off certain groups of visitors, such as the elderly and families with young children, from coming.[/quote

Erm, families with young children don't want to come here, they want to go abroad to the sun.
As for the elderly, I live here and I haven't got anything against the elderly but we've got plenty of elderly peoples homes and I don't see any of them whinging.

[quote] They won't want to drive on the roads — they want to be able to drive around the Island and see places.'
Erm, again there is another 48 weeks of the year they can drive around all they want to then.

Quote: He said he would like to see the TT halted over time and thought that the majority of people in the Island agreed with him, saying there was a sense of relief among everyone he spoke to when the races were cancelled in 2001 because of foot-and-mouth disease.

Really, everyone I spoke to was totally cheesed off about it.

Quote: The vast majority of people I spoke to said it was nice to have a quiet fortnight.'
Again there are another 48 weeks in the year that should be quiet enough for them, if it's not they should think about moving somewhere like, umm, I can't think of anywhere quieter than here.

Quote: Instead, he thinks the Island should reinvent itself, focusing on sports such as angling and cycling.

I see, so they are into angling and cycling. The angling, ok yeah, I can live with that but thousands of people won't come to an angling competition. There is already an angling week in he North of the Island and that's lucky to attract 50 people from across the water.
Anyway then we'll have the anti fishing brigade again saying "ban angling as it's cruel to the fish". This has already happened years ago.

Quote: Ingrid said she was afraid to go out on the roads during the TT because of a small number of inconsiderate motorists.
Fine, stay in then.

'
Quote: They come at you from all directions. There are some who come over purely to race around the TT course.
There is no way I'd go over the mountain.'

Lots of people don't use the mountain road in TT, their's nothing unusual in that. In my opinion I'd ban all traffic apart from motorcycles from using the mountain.

Quote: She said she would like the see the TT 'reduced considerably' so there would be fewer road closures and accidents.
The one way system on the Mountain has already reduced accidents considerably.

Quote: It would be better, if they want to continue, to have a short circuit and just use the mountain course for one or two prestigious races.'

HaHa good one, who'd pay to come over here to race a short circuit? yep no one, they can do that anywhere. The mountain circuit is a unique road race, that's why riders want to ride it.

Quote: Ingrid said she would be sad to see the TT stopped because she was born in the Island and grew up with the races.
But she said that the atmosphere had changed and was concerned that the Island has outgrown it.

Yes I agree it has changed, for the better. You rarely see anyone riding in jeans and leather jacket nowadays, most people wear proper protection. Oh, and their are no Black angels or Hells Angels coming anymore, most of the people are normal respectable people with normal jobs who save hard, (nothing against Hells or Black Angels by the way) lets face it the tourists have to save hard because of the prices that they're charged for burgers and the like. The atmosphere in my opinion is nothing like you'd find anywhere else in the world that's why they keep coming back.

Quote: Like Jerry, she would like to see the government put more focus on other aspects of the Island, and thinks there is a market for package walking holidays.
There are plenty of walking and running events for people on the Island open to anyone from anywhere in the world, I'm sure they'd all be very welcome, But none of them will bring the amount of tourism that the TT does. Infact I doubt those events would bring more people to the Island than the Manx Grand Prix and that is starting to really take off with more and more people coming every year.
If people don't like the motorsport events on the Island there is that old saying of "There's a Boat in the morning".
Have a nice Trip.
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2008, 10:54 PM by Wilddog.)
29-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Wow..! I remember my first trip to the MGP... lots of little old ladies waving at the racers as they went by.... it put a tear in my eye... and a smile on my face...tiny kids and old ladies and everyone in between, enjoying the sounds and sights..... gosh every time I go, it is soooooo great..!!

And I do remember 2001... and all the fuss... and the loss of revenue to the IOM for not having the races.. and the newspaper reported "Never Again.." it was deemed cheaper to replace all the farm animals than not have the races...

Long live the TT and MGP..!!

Cheers..!!

Ron - just a Yank.. but knows were real Road Racing is..!
30-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Find Reply
Dusty Offline

Threads: 3
I don't agree with them.....but.....everybody is entitled to voice their opinion.
30-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Find Reply
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
oh dear,,,i am a motorcyclist,,ex racer,,lived for the manx and TT,,remember the waving crowds lining the streets when we rode up the front to the start,,but i dont expect everyone to be of the same opinion,is no one allowed to think different to us ?why not read the article,and put it aside and get on with your life,if you want to have a real go at someone how about fueltax,irak war,M.P.s expenses,stabbings,etc etc,calm down,,,
30-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
In Munich many of the locals decide to leave to take their holidays during the Octoberfest.
Too many tourists making fools of themselves.
However the locals all return and the ones I have spoken to just shrug their shoulders and say “Es ist für die lokalen Geschäftsleute gut." (It is good for the local business people).
There are always the few vocal exceptions but personally I have been received by the vast majority of the Manx people with genuine warmth be they TT enthusiasts or not.
Perhaps a cold shower and a glass of tolerance may be in order for Ingrid and Jerry.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
30-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Find Reply