Get talking!
thewitch
Unregistered

Get talking!
This was part of a longer thread which I felt might be getting a bit tired, so here's a fresh discussion... go to it! Some very good points here...

"So many changes have been put in place without using common sense. Take the wearing of fire retardant overalls. This has now been reduced to the pit lane during race periods only. Yet there was a fire in parc ferme on Monday night. People can wander around there, wearing whatever they like, fuelling up bikes, talking on mobile phones. If we are genuinely looking at areas which pose a risk, then in my humble opinion, this is an area of great risk, unlike many of the now prohibited areas.

If health and safety originally brought in fire retardant overalls x years ago, then how come these areas have miraculously become safe this year? Or is it because the focus is elsewhere, seeing how negative an impact the organisers can make on the fans?

To me, it looks like an attempt is being made to turn the TT into a superbike meeting, with the emphasis being on how much profit ACU Events can generate. Did anyone think to ask the fans if they want to see a superbike meeting, with the riders kept well away from the public, fees for viewing areas and sitting half a mile back from the circuit? These are exactly the reasons why I am interested in road racing and NOT superbike racing!

I also agree with everything Alan has said, in particular about being unable to reverse changes. Even my mum (who isn't remotely interested in bike racing) genuinely misses early morning practices because they were unique and had a very special atmosphere of their own. She blames it on us Manx being an ethnic minority in our own country."
Hermoine Grainger
29-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
RE: Get talking!
I can see and understand what this person has said here BUT REALITY check might be needed

If health and safety WAS the true issue, THE TT WOULD NEVER BE RACED AGAIN, Simple! Sorry to say that!

The show must go on, so I guess what has been done RE wearing fire proof stuff in main fuel pits only, is TO PUT THE SHOW ON for the outside world to see, as there is no TV coverage of the practice days, and the pits, so WHO CARES OFFICUALLY.

Spectators, crew, riders, acu officuals, ALL walk around smokingsmilie

End of story
I can fix anything!
31-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Less than 60 starters tommorow, SadEvil
31-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
Maybe...but as long as 60 finnish ....
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
31-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Stella Wrote:Maybe...but as long as 60 finnish ....

True Stell, but do the fans like it No getting to be a bore
31-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48
FC Wrote:Less than 60 starters tommorow, SadEvil

Pathetic eh, BUT ALL FOR SAFETY THOUGH, Bahaha
I can fix anything!
31-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Well, Colin, after yesterday's races... are you still bored? Yahoo
01-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Wantan Offline

Threads: 3
thewitch Wrote:Well, Colin, after yesterday's races... are you still bored? Yahoo

Agreed.

The consensus of me and the guys (we're all locals) I've been watching with for 25 years is that we'd rather see 40 quality finishers than watch an extra or 20 or so get lapped, interfere with the leaders, or fall off and hurt themselves.

The TT is so unique, and so inherently dangerous, that only those who have proven themselves to be capable of handling it shoud be allowed to start.

PP & the team are TRYING to achieve this. And knocking their every effort (FC), doesnt help the TT's long term future.
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
WELL HERES MY TAKE ON WHY THEY ABANDONED THE FIRE RETARDENT OVERALLS IN TE PADDOCK. THEY COULD NOT FIND A PAIR BIG ENOUGH FOR POL POT PARKERS OBSCENE FAT GUT.
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Wantan Wrote:
thewitch Wrote:Well, Colin, after yesterday's races... are you still bored? Yahoo

Agreed.

The consensus of me and the guys (we're all locals) I've been watching with for 25 years is that we'd rather see 40 quality finishers than watch an extra or 20 or so get lapped, interfere with the leaders, or fall off and hurt themselves.

The TT is so unique, and so inherently dangerous, that only those who have proven themselves to be capable of handling it shoud be allowed to start.

PP & the team are TRYING to achieve this. And knocking their every effort (FC), doesnt help the TT's long term future.

im not trying to knock the work done by PP and his team, my point is that to keep the TT going the kids have to be kept interested, and as all parents will tell you if the kids are bred with something they lose interest. The time gaps between the riders after a couple of laps yesterday was easily noticed, and I for one like to see plenty of bikes not just the same two classes of bikes that we have now. I dont have the answer but I do have an opinion and that is allow more riders to enter the races let the quality at the accepted speeds and those that are left could have thier own combined non qualifiers races.
01-06-2008, 12:13 PM