My Hero
thewitch
Unregistered

My Hero
There were many heroes yesterday in the sidecar race, but here's mine.
Martin Hull passengered this year for Andy Laidlow.
A few days ago he was bitten by a horsefly, and this subsequently caused him to develop an eye infection. He looked as if he had had a few rounds with Mike Tyson.
At midnight on Tuesday he was taken to Noble's where they commenced treatment to fight the infection.
Come Wednesday morning he still looked like a casualty from a car accident, but he insisted... going from tears to temper, that he HAD to be released as, without him Andy wouldn't get his race.
He persuaded the medics that he was fit, then RAN... ALL THE WAY FROM NOBLES TO THE PADDOCK, where he was passed by Doc Stevens, to race.
As Andy had already withdrawn from the race, they had to be re-accepted, (Thank you, organisers... great decision!), and they set off as 17, having lost their number from the previous race due to the temporary withdrawal.
During the race, he lost his visor! He continued, in spite of pain and discomfort, and they finished the race in 19th place, in bronze replica time

19 17 Andy Laidlow/Martin Hull 2008 LCR Suzuki 600cc / Double "M" Racing 01 04 52.00 104.698 Bronze

When I red flagged them at the end of the race, Andy stopped and Martin went to the first aid personnel, who helped by changing his dressing and giving him lots of water... he really looked horrific by then, but he went on to the beer tent, and a celebration.
Andy Laidlow is completely in awe of this performance, and team sponsor Mark Middleton arranged for Martin to be presented with a set of goggles smilie and an engraved tankard in appreciation of this stunning sffort. 10 times world champion Steve Webster made the special presentation, and the roof of the Villa was shaken by the applause.
My hero and Man of TT 2008 Youtheman smilie

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=21308
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM