How live is 'TT Live'
Shitoffa Shovel Offline

Threads: 5
How live is 'TT Live'
I found I had a bit of time on my hands today to get settled for the S/Stock and S/S port races ,,,,even better was just before the start of the 2nd race of the day my old man turned up so I thought I would amaze him with technology.........

TT live was chimmed up and away we go,,,,,,following the first lap was the best bit trying to work out the 'time lag' between the sector times being posted on the 'Dashboard' and manx radio catching up with the action ? It must be me pressing the wrong buttons when explaining it to my Dad I thought.
After a couple of laps I was starting to get confused as the riders were indicated as being past a timing point yet the delay on the 'net' was minutes later rather than seconds as you would expect,,,,,even on the hand over between commentary points we were treated to a good couple of minutes of radio adds before they told us what we all ready knew.

For Wednesday I think I will dig out my old stop watch and I will time the thing as if I was 'Track side' coz I think someone is trying to pull a fast one on us daft buggers sat at home......

This unless someone can explain the differences we appear to have ?. Or is it due to Steam radio loosing pressure after a couple of laps,,,,,Tongue

Regards

SS,,,,,,,,
It’s strange that men should take up crime when there are so many legal ways to be dishonest. …
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2008, 11:50 PM by Shitoffa Shovel.)
02-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
Boris Offline

Threads: 2
RE: How live is 'TT Live'
ive often wondered why on radio TT there waiting or asking for the finishing lap time or speed as the rider comes over the line like there waiting to click the stopwatch as he cross's the line but the dashboard already shows the time when the rider is , im guessing somewhere like coming outa governers dip , this is from the time the dashboard shows the laptime to hearing him on the radio go past the grandstand .
why dont radio TT look at the dashboard on a laptop were all looking at at all 3 commentry points ? and how does the dashboard have the time when you can hear the riders not past the pitlane yet ?
it seams to much of a delay
02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Every one of the radio comentators today mentioned that the wonderful new timing system on the screens in front of them was great
03-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Boris Offline

well does that mean the info on the dashboard is coming over the net alot faster than the radio TT signal or somehow the radio commentary is put onto the net well behind the dashboard. i thought as there both coming through the same duke thingy they'd be together . its abit like the delay between a program on sky and analogue if you have 2 tv's on the same channel in different rooms on the 2 systems. you can hear a big delay but ones going into orbit and back lol ! Bonk
03-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Website Find Reply
theflyingplumber Offline

Shitoffa Shovel Wrote:I found I had a bit of time on my hands today to get settled for the S/Stock and S/S port races ,,,,even better was just before the start of the 2nd race of the day my old man turned up so I thought I would amaze him with technology.........

TT live was chimmed up and away we go,,,,,,following the first lap was the best bit trying to work out the 'time lag' between the sector times being posted on the 'Dashboard' and manx radio catching up with the action ? It must be me pressing the wrong buttons when explaining it to my Dad I thought.
After a couple of laps I was starting to get confused as the riders were indicated as being past a timing point yet the delay on the 'net' was minutes later rather than seconds as you would expect,,,,,even on the hand over between commentary points we were treated to a good couple of minutes of radio adds before they told us what we all ready knew.

For Wednesday I think I will dig out my old stop watch and I will time the thing as if I was 'Track side' coz I think someone is trying to pull a fast one on us daft buggers sat at home......

This unless someone can explain the differences we appear to have ?. Or is it due to Steam radio loosing pressure after a couple of laps,,,,,Tongue

Regards

SS,,,,,,,,

RE: How Live Is "TT" LIVE"

Shovel i have noticed this as well and it was exactly the same in practicing.
The only thing i can think of, is there must be a time lag with the commentary. How or why i really dont know but the only thing i can think of is a deliberate time lag built in. In case some commentator gets over excited and makes a comment like..... "a certain rider is going like shitoffashovel " ....for example.

Regards tfp

Bonk Yahoo
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2008, 01:01 AM by theflyingplumber.)
03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Find Reply
ALP Offline

The people in Race Control (and Manx Radio) are using an actual program connected directly to the results database server at the Grandstand so as soon as a bike crosses the timing loop in the road, it takes about 1 second for the times to display on the screens.

What I expect is happening is that the data from the results server at the Grandstand is being sent to Dukes Web Server (which is located in the UK) as a stream of data and then having to be processed again. I was watching the race using the TT Live Dashboard yesterday and as the leaders crossed the Start/Finish line, it was taking about 10 seconds or so for the dashboard to update. Not bad.....
03-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Find Reply
ALP Offline

Also, there is no time delay in the live commentary on Manx Radio - you can verify that by listening to the commentary at the Grandstand, Glen Helen or Ramsey Hairpin as what is happening there is on the radio with no delay.

However, the Manx Radio commentary on the Internet may have a delay built in. I expect that somewhere on the IOM is a radio connected to a computer. This is recording what is happening on Manx Radio, and converting it to a digital signal. It then sends it across the internet to the audio streaming supplier who then reconverts the signal and then broadcasts the signal. Listening to BBC Radio 1 on the Internet is about a 20 second time difference to what is really happening - I expect this will be similar.
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Find Reply
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9
It's not very 'live' this morning, tried logging in several times without success. Reckon the site owners must have had a good night out and forgot to switch the power back on!!!smilie
03-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Find Reply
Southernman Offline

Threads: 0
The "radio" on TT Live is about 25 seconds behind the AM radio.
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
On tv if you watch footy the radio commenty is ahead of the live picture.
Roll on Kells 2010
03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Find Reply
Arthur Lawn Offline

Threads: 23
pykey Wrote:On tv if you watch footy the radio commenty is ahead of the live picture.

Thats allways the case.I've watched TV football with the sound switched off and had a radio commentry of the same game on and the commentry is allways ahead.
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Southernman has the answer.
I don't know how it works, but sometimes I have the radio on, and also the website feed. There is a long delay between the two, with the radio about half a minute ahead.. I often catch the tail end of something on the radio, and have time to go online to get the whole story. I presume the dashboard is coming from elsewhere (don't have Radio TT on the puter, so I don't know the setup.)smilie
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Threads: 1
Southernman Wrote:The "radio" on TT Live is about 25 seconds behind the AM radio.

With A Hi Speed Broadband connection reduce your media player buffer.
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2008, 09:33 AM by RedlineRick.)
04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Find Reply
Shitoffa Shovel Offline

My 'Dashboad' died half way round lap 5,,,,,,,,still rubbish then.

Regards
\

SS,,,,,,,,,

PS, closely followed by an apology....from TT Live......
It’s strange that men should take up crime when there are so many legal ways to be dishonest. …
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2008, 01:44 PM by Shitoffa Shovel.)
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Find Reply
nutty slack Offline

Threads: 9
Not able to sign in again this morning! Seems like they're experiencing "technical difficulties" and tells us to "try again later". Hope its up and running again before the racing starts today cos I was really looking forward to them. Sad
Not long till the Manx smilie
07-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Find Reply