Proposed changes to the MGP programme
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme
The Bag Wrote:Hi Rich, as an Ambassador for the MGP I was asked by someone in this thread to propose allowing the 1000cc bikes into the MGP but this idea was not received well and was kicked out very quickly by both committee members AND experienced riders alike.
Its good to see comments and suggestions on here as I can forward them to the MMCC, who it has to be said are trying very hard to accomodate riders, their interests and well being these days. The meeting held at the start of the MGP was a clear sign of how they have changed their attitude and approach to riders.
It was also very clear they have their arms tied in many cases by political red tape from both the DTL and Local Councils.
Cheers
Russ

Rich Wrote:Thanks for the reply Russ.
Do you know why they dismissed the idea? As someone has already said on this forum, we aren't trying to attract those that are already doing it (committee/experienced riders) but trying to attract more riders. By excluding the big modern bikes you exclude a massive portion of racers.
I would always be cautious with the views of others in case there are alternate agendas, and I really hope I'm not speaking out of order here, such as those who own 750s being worried that their bikes will be obsolete. There could be awards for the 750 class within the 1000 class as the TT has done previously.
The superstock class is huge everywhere. People look at the price of running 600 supersport and fall of their chairs. Then they look at superstock and go that way instead. When we look for riders we need to offer the class of bike they own. Not expect them to go and buy a machine just for the Manx.
It all comes to cost again. Over the last few years I've seen a few riders with tuned 600s go through 2 or 3 motors during the fortnight. At over £2000 a go thats a huge bill to meet and potential riders will consider this. Personally, this year I opted to ride a totally standard 600. I knew I wouldn't win it (I'm not good enough anyway) but knew all I'd need to do is change the oil and check it over. Problem is that this won't appeal to others. Thanks again.

hi russ Yahoo

rich nail hit on the head Bonk thats what i have been saying m8 why should we have to source then buy a bike just for the manx it makes no sense for any rider coming to do the manx especially newcomers.

rich is right in what he is saying look at where the mgp riders ride the rest of the year on the most part they are riding in the u.k on 1000s or 600,s (not talking about the classics here as i feel that is a very special part of the manx & needs very little tweeking in my opinion)

if i have this right the mmcc has to bring tourists in to get the funding to run the manx from the goverment. to get the funding the mgp has to attract riders to put the show on on the right bikes which in turn brings the tourists.

basicly there is very little they (mmcc) can do about practise. the last 2 years on a 600 only 8 laps is what we are getting (weather has been a massive problem but thats the manx for you)

i do feel the race programe needs sorting out we need to get racing as early as possible why wait after practise week lets get going racing on monday,tuesday,wenesday, that leaves thursday friday saturday if the weather is unkind(hence my question about sunday racing if we could why not ??)

it was not uncommon this year for teams/riders to be on the island for 3 weeks far to long. i,am lucky self employed but folks asking for three weeks off work does not go down well with boss,s (had to give myself a right telling off smiliesmilie)

forrgotten era yes i,am in favour BUT do not limit the cc unlimited and we may just get all sorts of excotica poking out of sheds from all over which will be a major attraction to the tourists which we all need to keep the manx alive and well.

long live the mgp.

p.s thank you BARRY WOOD lap 2 110.378 YahooYahoo
13-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by cargo - 08-09-2008, 09:11 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by thewitch - 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
RE: Proposed changes to the MGP programme - by andy kirk - 13-09-2008, 09:48 AM