North One Wins Isle of Man TT Races TV tender
thewitch
Unregistered

North One Wins Isle of Man TT Races TV tender
North One Television, one of Europe’s leading production companies, has won the tender for the Television production, sales and distribution of the Isle of Man TT Races. The contract comes into effect for the 2009 TT races and runs until 2013.

The contract gives North One exclusive visual rights for a five year period and includes all television production, sales and distribution including mobile and on-line.

The television tender is part of an on-going programme of development for the TT that has seen new commercial contracts developed across Sponsorship, Merchandising and Licensing, Hospitality and Marketing as part of a drive by the Isle of Man Government, the event promoters, to improve the commercial return on the event.

The current television contract, which has been in place since November 2001, was due for review ahead of the 2009 TT races as part of the Government requirement to ensure fair and proper practice in the awarding of all commercial contracts.

Martyn Quayle, MHK, Minister for Tourism and Leisure, Isle of Man Government, commented:

“The Television commercial rights contract is a pivotal part of our plans in developing the commercial value and building the long term future of the TT races. We believe that having North One on board will help us to achieve our objectives. Their pitch also stood out as one that will revolutionise the television coverage of the TT and will appeal to race and non-race fans.”

He continued:

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Greenlight TV for their work in covering the TT. They have made an enormous contribution to the promotion of the event.North One produces a wide range of programming across sport, factual and general entertainment. As part of All3Media Group North One has a reputation for high end live sport productions including award winning work for Formula One on ITV and as global host broadcaster for the World Rally Championship. Their work can currently be seen on ITV showing the Formula One Grand Prix.”

Neil Duncanson, CEO of North One Television said:

“The TT Races remains one of the world’s most iconic sporting events and we are delighted to be joining the team. We will certainly be looking to get under the skin of the event and its personalities to make this extraordinary event a must-watch for audiences across the globe – and not just for bike fans. We believe we can bring everything we’ve learned from our work in Formula 1 and the World Rally Championships – it’s a genuinely exciting opportunity.”

North One has been involved in high end productions such as Italian Football and NBA on Channel 4 and ITV; Rugby Special and Six Nations on the BBC and UKTV; Formula One on ITV and World Rally Championships as global host broadcaster.

North One have won the coveted BAFTA for best sports programming for the last two years for their Formula One coverage for ITV.

North One was formed in 1990 as Chrysalis Sport, the sports television arm of the music group Chrysalis, becoming Chrysalis Television in 1994. In 2003 Chrysalis Television was sold to the newly formed, private equity backed All3media. All3media has an annual turnover of £500 million while North One turns over £50 million. In 2007 North One acquired International Sportsworld Communications (ISC), the global media and commercial rights holders of WRC.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM by Malcolm.)
09-09-2008, 02:59 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: North One Wins Isle of Man TT Races TV tender
Does this mean that Duke Marketing have been given the elbow??

Please?

Pretty please??

If so:

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

Oops... I just knew this was going to be contentious... no libellous comments please, or you're on your own, folks.
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I think if they get more global coverage this way then why not? Give them a chance to prove that they are willing to get stuck in and lets see what happens. They have done a great job with the Rallying could Greenlight have done this? I think not and this can be the only reason I would have looked else where.

But I have to agree with Colin, oh god did I say that, in that there are too many contracts being given out to the off Island contractors when the Island companies need all the support they get. This has gone the same way as the cars, which went to Audi. I would love to suggest that the Boat racing was done during practice week, I think this would compliment the racing perfectly.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2008, 06:05 PM by DCLUCIE.)
09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

09-09-2008, 06:52 PM
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
I don't suppose this contract mentions the MGP / S100 coverage, does it?

I assume it's just for the TT?

That being the case, it looks like TTwebsite members will be able (i.e. allowed) to pool their own footage and stick it on YouTube or similar, perhaps......?
....scone out to take photos!
09-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Find
FC
Unregistered

Once again I see my postings have been removed, A mod has termed them as nasty, to me they are not they are fact. The TT is Manx and the company that has been producing the filming for 13 years has been stripped of the job.

Cargo I have contacted the owner of the site regarding postings being deleted and have not been told of any problems with them. (Not quite correct Colin - You have been requested to moderate your comments in future postings - Malcolm.)

This issue concerns the Isle of Man and its people not just the TT but it is TT related. Its OK for some who are sat behind their PCs off Island who don't see the full picture or don't give a dam about it, as long as your OK Jack that's fine, may well be the scenario for some.

The issue here is that the Government want companies to invest and do well on the Island, some even receive financial assistance from the Tax payer to improve the quality of their business. But for a Government to take a away business from a company they have been voted in by the public to protect, is dam right out of order and the Public, fans and any interested party should know. sometimes the truth hurts, but is has to be said.

For every £1 spent on companies from off island to work on the TT is bad policy, the TT has to have an income for/from local companies for it to survive. Too much of the TT is being given away, something that's been part of the island for years. Local companies have been able to survive for the rest of the year on what they can make during the TT and that should remain.

This year we lost the cars to Audi after many years, where were Audi at the MGP ? Next year we lose the filming of the TT and will also lose any future filming of the MGP and S100, is that what you truly want.

What would happen if Manx Catering vans invaded all the irish road race meetings and never put a penny back into the events. The island is a small place in the global market and its products should be promoted and protected by Its Government.

GREENLIGHT IS A MANX PRODUCT.

Edited by Admin - Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2008, 10:07 AM by Malcolm.)
10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
willyc Offline

Threads: 0
this year for the first time in i don't know how long we have no film of the S100 or MGP. Will North One be contracted to film these events or as usual the parties concerned can only see the TT. As far as the Southern 100 is concerned they have lost a little income from the sales of the DVD which may not seem much but means a lot at the end of the year when looking for funds.SadSadSadSadSadSadSad
10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Find
thewitch
Unregistered

Also means a lot to the competitors who value the record of their race. Seems mad as communication becomes easier and more prevalent, that we are moving backwards in terms of recording the Southern and the Manx.
10-09-2008, 11:37 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

A substantial overhaul of TT coverage is being promised by the new holders of the contract.

North One Television has won the tender and will take over from local company Greenlight Television, which has filmed the event for the past 13 years.

Chief Executive Officer of North One Neil Duncanson says the aim is to make the event a must-watch for audiences across the globe.

He says the TT 2009 may be months away, but the hard work has already begun.

Click on the story below to hear the voice clip:
http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=25250
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
CH1 Offline
Just Getting Started

FC - Can I ask what planet do you live on ?

The TV Coverage for the TT (Nothing to do with the Southern or MGP)
went to tender, within the tender brief it would outline what was needed by the holder of the contract, it would also ask what the contract holder would be putting back in i.e MONEY.

Now........Greenlight would have also put in a tender and that would have full details of what it though was the best way forward for the TT and the coverage of the event. It would appear that the DTL and or whoever looked at the two documents (+ others we don't know about) and thought.............this one looks better and gives back more money to the TT.

PP has said many times on this and other forums and in public......The commercial side of the TT has too stack up and money needs to come back in. This money is used for the safety side of the event, for many years the TT has not had the rewards it should have had, through its commercial standing and promise
(not verbatim but close !)

As a MANX TAX PAYER I don't want to see my tax go up year on year to be spent on events which bring nothing to the Island or take money off it. The TT (Too survive) needs to have money but that money can not come from central government. If you want to be associated with the TT and have your company up in lights, then you have to pay for the pleasure.

Now, if you want to start on the car thing lets go...........Ask yourself this - How much did Jaguar and Rover pay to have their cars paraded in front of thousands of spectators during the TT? in fact how much did the local dealer pay?

Audi wanted to support the TT, as did Mychreests, it went to tender and the Audi deal stood up better (I guess?) more money?

Your problem is FC, your in the TRADITIONAL frame of mind, Tradition does not run Motorcycle events, get this word out of your head and think of the future. The IOM Gov are a voted body and as such they have to have accountability, every penny spent needs to have a business mind behind it...................FACT

If you feel you could do it better, stay off forums (Which are here to support the event) and run to be an MHK and when you voted in you will see what the political world looks like.

I await your educated reply.
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Find
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
I can't see what's stopping Greenlight covering the MGP and the Southern 100. If they had the good of Manx sport embedded in their psyche why don't they cover those events and distribute the DVD's through someone other than Duke if the latter don't want to do it. Not enough money in it for them perhaps?smilie Greenlight are not just in it because they are Manx - they want to make money as well.
10-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Find
FC
Unregistered

CH1

If and when Greenlight decide to leave the IOM to a country that will offer them the incentives to relocate and create new jobs, please by all means you tell the Locals that have to lose their jobs or leave the Island they Love.
The decisions being made by the DTL, I have to laugh smilie, I have seen what their decisions are like first hand in a long running court case that I was involved with, only to hear the Judge declare that the department is not capable of making financial decisions. This department was getting ripped off to the Tune of £97k by the ex CM of the Island and only for me I ensured that they got the money back BIG FACT.
But getting back on track yes I would agree the Races have to start funding themselves but at what expense. North One are a UK company and any moneys made will be taxed in the UK prior to reaching the TT. Who now has the contract to produce the after market DVDs, that market could also be lost in a couple of ways as viewers will now record the races rather than buy a DVD, possible job loses for Duke Ltd. Why can the Government not sit down with Greenlight and work out a solution and a way forward for the benefit of all sides thus protecting jobs and maybe creating new jobs, By way of Government help to Greenlight just imagine what this company could achieve, which would help both parties on the world stage.
You then have to think about the other meetings that the Island has, the S100 and the MGP, coverage of these meetings was done by Greenlight at what I believe to be a loss, but it was their contribution to the races. These clubs used to get a few quid back from the sale of the DVDs produced that has now been lost and for the S100 club every penny helps (the best little club in the world).
A bit of honesty from the Government would help too, I would refer to another posting where some of the officials of the MGP were having the impression that the Government has a hidden agenda over the MGP and that was to withdraw any help in a hope the meeting would die off, do you want that.
The Isle of Man is known for being a world financial centre and has many companies here that could provide the sponsorship to run the TT, why have these companies not been approached I can tell you, its image and that is where in my opinion a mistake will be made if the TT is Broadcast live. If a Major sponsor is brought in how would their image look if while the race they are sponsoring is being broadcast live and a fatality occurs, the damage is done which cant be reversed.
Yes we have Paul Phillips and his team working hard at the TT doing a job he knows well and I would much rather see Paul left alone to work on the races and riders, instead of being slagged off at every opportunity.

The Isle of Man Governent changed the laws of the land to allow bikes and cars to race on the public roads of the Island in a bid to give the Tourist trade an early start to its season and create employment.
A final note, nearly all successful motor racing events are run and controlled by wealthy EXPERIENCED business men or woman, something the event has not got.
10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
FC
Unregistered

arzed Wrote:I can't see what's stopping Greenlight covering the MGP and the Southern 100. If they had the good of Manx sport embedded in their psyche why don't they cover those events and distribute the DVD's through someone other than Duke if the latter don't want to do it. Not enough money in it for them perhaps?smilie Greenlight are not just in it because they are Manx - they want to make money as well.
What a stupid reply, they are in business to make money not lose it, maybe some of any profit from the TT was put into the other meetings, that's not our business
10-09-2008, 05:25 PM
CH1 Offline
Just Getting Started

FC
Do you honestly think that the business of Greenlight/Duke is that thin that they will moving off Island because of the loss of the TV contract smilie

On the court case, I don't want to go over this issue, it has nothing to do with this forum or post, although I will add it was not the TT part of the DTL who were involved....Bonk

The S100 and MGP have nothing to do with this contract, if Greenlight (Or anyother persons/company)wanted to film and sell DVD's and then make a loss, then thats their choice but I note this year there is no S100 or MGP DVD, was this because the southern club & MMCC were asked to fund any loss? The way I see it is, more coverage, more fans wanting to come, more money into the central coffers, more money to spend on rider saftey, more good bands and more of A GOOD TIME FOR TWO WEEKS OF THE YEAR ! ! !Yahoo

It is not for the Manx Government to tell others how to run their business, they will however help if needed, thats what the DTi are there for, to help and introduce business.

As for the Gov talking to a company, what would you say if "Another decorator" was to have a secret talk with the DTi and then they agreed to "Another Decorator" being given a 5 year contract worth 100k over the term...............Yep you would see your @rse and make sure every man and his dog knew about how unfair it all was.... FACT

As for any hidden agenda, I would think that is highly unlikey and I think the MMCC know they need to take the event foward and I am sure they will but it takes time.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM by CH1.)
10-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Find
FC
Unregistered

North One only film Martin Brundles grid walk and the pre and post race interviews for ITV..... Steve Ryder etc..... THATS ALL THAY DO.

Everything else is filmed by FOM (Formula One Management) for the world feed.

This is bad, very bad, just watch your tv !

In fact North One and ITV have this year lost Formula One to the BBC, the long time supporters of the TT
10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
FC
Unregistered

CH1 Wrote:FC
Do you honestly think that the business of Greenlight/Duke is that thin that they will moving off Island because of the loss of the TV contract smilie

No not thin but a great saving on costs to their main core of work, cheaper energy costs, tax incentives

On the court case, I don't want to go over this issue, it has nothing to do with this forum or post, although I will add it was not the TT part of the DTL who were involved....Bonk

Wrong same people, on long term sick now. but still have to face a public enquiry

The S100 and MGP have nothing to do with this contract, if Greenlight (Or anyother persons/company)wanted to film and sell DVD's and then make a loss, then thats their choice but I note this year there is no S100 or MGP DVD, was this because the southern club & MMCC were asked to fund any loss? The way I see it is, more coverage, more fans wanting to come, more money into the central coffers, more money to spend on rider saftey, more good bands and more of A GOOD TIME FOR TWO WEEKS OF THE YEAR ! ! !Yahoo

BS, every project the DTL have except for the TT loses money, the TT is the Golden Goose, that will bail out losing DTL ventures fact

It is not for the Manx Government to tell others how to run their business, they will however help if needed, thats what the DTi are there for, to help and introduce business.

Not giving much help lately, most major Gov contracts go off island one of the latest to a Company that's in trouble collusion in the UK

As for the Gov talking to a company, what would you say if "Another decorator" was to have a secret talk with the DTi and then they agreed to "Another Decorator" being given a 5 year contract worth 100k over the term...............Yep you would see your @rse and make sure every man and his dog knew about how unfair it all was.... FACT

They allready do well known, in the profesional side of construction, gets kept in the family fact last 2 major painting jobs went to unskilled UK firms that broke every rule in the book FACT

As for any hidden agenda, I would think that is highly unlikey and I think the MMCC know they need to take the event foward and I am sure they will but it takes time.

The MGP needs the same amount of help as the TT to survive, and it aint getting any Why.

Moral of the story is Milk the TT Dry its the only Tourist attraction that makes a profit smilie
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
OK, enough is enough now on this matter.

[Image: redcard.gif]

I am locking this thread and will not allow any more postings on this topic.

Any complaints, then pm me.

Malcolm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM by Malcolm.)
10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Website Find