FAO Cargo and ????????
FC
Unregistered

FAO Cargo and ????????
Right we all know how passionate you are about Road Racing and I would like to know your opinions on this topic.

Its alleged that the criteria for awarding the contract to film the TT was that the DTL wanted a company that would broadcast the TT LIVE and that the new company was the only one who would do it.
Would I not be right in saying that the outgoing Broadcaster was against this on Moral grounds, they did not want to give anyone the chance to witness what we all know are serious accidents at the TT.
How good would the TT look if millions of viewers witnessed the results and injuries of any accidents, how long would the TT last then.
I now believe this is how a Manx Company lost the Contract and could not blame them if they moved their business of Island, whats the use of spending £millions here if you have no work here.

I believe what I have been told and sure its true, so I would like to be the first to congratulate Greenlight TV for the thoughtfulness.

I would welcome all views on this, do you agree or disagree that the TT should be Broadcast Live.
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

RE: FAO Cargo and ????????
It would be good to hear the bid criteria in full, but I suppose that's not going to happen.
Live does not have to mean live to the extent the NW was, and I think you will find all these live events are normally transmitted with a delay of several seconds, allowing operators to switch feeds.
That's what happens on live interviews on radio and TV, so if someone says something unacceptable it dumps for a few secs.
At the TT the broadcast would be from several places, so a switch to another feed would be possible.
However, the big problem I would see would be the difficulty of the TT or any other Manx-based event to guarantee running on time, due to the weather. Live TV coverage dictates that an event will, infallibly, be held at exactly the time the TV programme is scheduled. If we had a run of weather like this year's Manx... well..
However, if they are able to get the TT on TV worldwide as they are saying they might... that could be amazing in terms of encouraging visitors and also competitors in other countries who would see for themselves what we are so enthusiastic about.

Oh... I'm all for it, btw!smiliesmilie
10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
cargo
Unregistered

+1
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
FC
Unregistered

Helen, We all witnessed what happened at the NW200 and I dont want that here full stop. I believe what my contact told me and I hear that MR are to run on it with talking heads.

Do you want the TT live, yes or No

NO
10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
thewitch
Unregistered

That was a live feed with no time delay, and lessons will have been learned by them.
Live broadcast, professionally run, does not go out exactly as it happens. There is a delay of up to a minute, during which the production staff can switch to another camera and the piece they want to keep from the public is not shown.
"Live" MotoGp etc is run this way.
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
FC
Unregistered

So I was dreaming what I saw on TV at BSB a few weeks back, no thank you we dont want it, have a poll on it smilie

ADMIN
Can we have a poll on this.

Do we want to have the chance to watch the TT live.
Do we want the chance to witness a serious accident.
Would the TT be damaged if a death is broadcast live.

Here's Your Poll Colin - Vote Here

Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM by Malcolm.)
10-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Well I'm with FC on this. I would NOT want to see the TT televised live. With the inevitable delays , and incidents, I believe that a live broadcast would send out all the wrong publicity for this event. There's been nothing wrong with the excellent same day reviews, and I for one am extremely disappointed that Greenlight have lost the contract. They have done an absolutely fantastic job from the time when Kriesky (about mid eighties?) was around to the present day. So there you go, from road opening cars to television rights, nothing is sacrosanct.
Before you know what they will be allowing advertising on the side of fairings!
10-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
I wouldn't want to see it live either.

I remember when Sky tried it, with on-bike live footage from Dave Goodley's Kawasaki (I think).

Off the line, through QB, Braddan, Snugborough only to dump it outside the Railway pub in Union Mills.

Very nasty it was, before they pulled the plug.

Nowadays, even with the facility for delayed transmission, the potential for error is there, hence my opposition.
10-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

It would be helpful if someone could establish whether it is LIVE coverage that is being offered or simply wider TV coverage.
I don't think it is live coverage as there's no way any TV station would be running TT all day, race days... who'd watch... they'd either be here, or probably be at work.
TV companies are looking for audiences of millions, and daytime TV can't get that, so live doesn't make sense.
I think what is being offered is access to more and perhaps better channels.
Be helpful if someone from North One could answer with some idea of what they are planning.
10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
cargo
Unregistered

To clarify..................

I'm indifferent to the question should or should not the TT be broadcast live..................given the nature of the curcuit and the small numbers of bikes in circulation the number of cameras need would be huge and therefore the costs are huge I doubt if it is possible to produce an interesting or exciting live show. TV audiences don't want to see who is last on the road. And mile upon mile of onbike footage it of little interest...............we don't get MotoGP that way do we ?

I agree with Helen in that a time delay can be built into any live broadcast..................in the case of the TT with all it's other delays it would be possible to have a 3 minute delay which is more than enough time to drop any unpleasant footage and have a commitee meeting to decide....................more costs...............even more problems.................

Stupid topic now that I think of it (theres a surprise )....................it just won't happen.
10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
I investigated the possibility of doing this some 8 years ago and it was feasible then, so it is certainly going to be much easier to do now. Mind you it wasn't going to be real easy at all back then, but it could be done.

Various cameras at strategic locations around the circuit,

Signal from each camera transmitted to the top of the mountain,

Signal relayed from the top of the mountain and received by Outside Broadcast Unit at the back of the Grandstand,

Signal(s) edited for transmission by editing team in the OB unit, with selected time delay.

Signal bounced to satellite and downloaded to telecity in Manchester for Pay for View via the Internet with the public selecting one (of say 6) camera view points or a general mixed camera broadcast view.

Signal downloaded by Television company and selected edited edition transmitted via normal terrestrial system, or live feed (delayed transmission) by satellite to those subscribing.

It is feasible, but costs are incredible.

The logistics are horrendous but can be overcome.

Initial investment runs well into 6 figures and in fact nowadays will be in 7 figures.

So if someone has the Cojones to have a go, I would be very interested to hear from them.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
10-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

It seems to me that the audience would be limited... it's daytime, it goes on for hours, it gets delayed by weather. Much more practical and likely is extended evening coverage of the day's racing, with perhaps online access too.
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
There was much, much more to the investigation to make the project totally vaible. This included the hire of studio facilities for selected playback, studio interviews and reported interface with the general public for extended coverage etc...

On line transmission,

" Signal bounced to satellite and downloaded to telecity in Manchester for Pay for View via the Internet with the public selecting one (of say 6) camera view points or a general mixed camera broadcast view" ,

could also be carried out on a 24 hour basis to ensure that worlwide coverage was achieved, with playback and studio interviews as mentioned above.

This would have been no different to what is available today on Satellite transmission of other sports coverage.

Sponsorship from Major organisations with motorsport interests or Motorcycle manufacturers could have been achieved on each and every camera. (eg Honda sponsored camera at the Waterworks, Yamaha sponsored camera at Creg-ny-Baa etc.....)

Paid for advertisement breaks on live and playback transmission was also achievable, and remember this would have been worldwide coverage.

Video Tape and DVD resale of all transmiited coverage could have been achieved, instead of simply all TT race activity. Ramsey Sprints, Beach Races, BSA Owners Club meeting, etc etc .......

The possibilities for potential were enormous, however as I said, initial investment was the problem.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Website Find Reply
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
I don't really want to comment on "live" or not and the consequence of rain delays etc. except to point out that many, many people watch people sleeping, for goodness sake, on Big Brother Bonk
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
FC
Unregistered

Its good to notice that a forum that is normally anti TT come out and support Greenlight.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.p...opic=26882
11-09-2008, 06:58 AM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
All I can add to your comments is this

For me, Greenlight raised the bar on producing Mountain Course videos
and I would hate to see that bar drop

As for live coverage?
I cant see it and dont want it

I also feel that its a shame that local "industry" is snubbed