Ulster Road Race Championships Return in 2009
cargo
Unregistered

Press Release - 2nd January 2009 – Embargoed to 9.30 PM

The Motor Cycle Union of Ireland (Ulster Centre) Limited is pleased to announce the revival of the Ulster Centre Road Race Championships for 2009. The championships were last awarded in 1988.

The 2009 championships will be held over the five National Road Races in the Ulster Centre:

Cookstown 100 Road Race – 24th/25th April
Tandragee 100 Road Race – 1st/2nd May
Bush Road Race – 19th/20th June
Mid Antrim 150 Road Race 31st July/1st August
Armoy Road Race – 7th/8th August

Commenting on the return of the championships at the Ulster Centre Awards Night, at La Mon Hotel on 2nd January, Ivan Davidson, Convenor and Press Officer for the Ulster Centre Tarmac Committee said,

“The Ulster championships have been revived in response to feedback from a number of riders who suggested to us that with the current ‘credit crunch’ it is likely that a number of riders will find it difficult to travel to all the rounds of the Irish Championship series in 2009.

Also with the introduction of the Armoy race in 2009, the Tarmac Committee now consider an Ulster Centre Championship to be viable again with five road race events, one less than when we last held the championship in 1988. The championships will also generate increased interest for the enthusiastic Ulster road race supporters. We hope to attract sponsorship for the championships in future years”.

The detailed rules of the championships, including the classes, are currently being developed by the Tarmac Committee and will be published by the end of February. They are expected to be broadly aligned to the rules of the Irish Road Race championship.

The five national road races in the Ulster Centre will also be counting rounds of the MCUI Irish Road Race Championship for 2009.

For further information contact:

Ivan Davidson
Tarmac Committee Convenor and Press Officer
Tel: 028 9181 5918
ivan@ivandavidson.wanadoo.co.ukAlan Drysdale
Centre Secretary and General Press Officer
Mob: 07872441750
Email: ulstercentre.sec@btinternet.com

Motor Cycle Union of Ireland (Ulster Centre) Limited
website http://www.mcui-uc.org.uk

Motor Cycle Union of Ireland (Ulster Centre) Limited Registered Number: NI 014880
Registered Office: c/o E Rice & Co 8 Cromac Street, Belfast BT2
03-01-2009, 05:28 PM
GREEBA#94 Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Ulster Road Race Championships Return in 2009
Cargo,

Is the Mid Antrim 150 the race that did not go ahead last year?

Greeba#94
04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Yes..............

They have a new Clerk of course or should I say an old one back again and the club have formed a new motorcycle section.
Also they have moved the start line back to it's orginal position in Clough village and the paddock is back there too.

Rather sadly I will have to miss doing it cos work is in the way again thats a real pity for me because Mid Antim was my first ever road race but I'll be back in 2010 I hope
04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
GREEBA#94 Offline

My last meeting other than the North West (which dosen't count) was the Mid Antrim in 1996. The start and finish was just prior to the hairpin(of sorts) in Clough village and was a day that will always remain one of lifes special days to me.
Danny(shimmin) was doing the Classic Manx and the Mid Antrim was the Saturday commencing practise week of MGP, we flew into Newtonards on sat am by light aircraft late having being fog bound at Ronaldsway. Practised 2 laps with the 125,s 2 lap race warm up and finished 2nd in the Classic unlimited class on Bob Mullens 680 matchless to if i recall was it Bell on a Rocket 3.

I have a photo Danny on one the back jumps that would put the modern boys to shame, i must scan it and post for posterity.

Must go back one of these days.

Greeba#94
04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I Have to admitt I was a Danny supporter for years, ever since I was a little kid. He used to deliver our coal. I think I still have his autograph somewhere with black finger marks where he was holding it. Someone once pointed at Danny up at Jurby road races and said that man has a screw loose. Guess thats why I liked the way he rode :-)
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
05-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Find Reply
GREEBA#94 Offline

Here the picture of Danny that i was talking about.
[Image: Sedbergh001.jpg]
06-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Find Reply