Valentino Rossi to attend 2009 Isle of Man TT Races
George Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Valentino Rossi to attend 2009 Isle of Man TT Races
higgy Wrote:how much is the cost 4 doctor yu will never know Pigfly

A hell of a lot more than the riders who have supported the TT through thick and thin, Its a pity they cant find any start money for the local riders that aint riding for a works team.
Dave Madson Midgall has been offered free breakfast after morning practice at the paddock this year.
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Find Reply
BigDick Offline

Threads: 1
George said
Quote:A hell of a lot more than the riders who have supported the TT through thick and thin, Its a pity they cant find any start money for the local riders that aint riding for a works team. smilie
Dave Madson Midgall has been offered free breakfast after morning practice at the paddock this year.

Bet Rossi don't sleep in the back of a fan for a fortnight or more like some of the privateers do! Pigfly
I'm the bloke you pass as you go down the back straight.
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
hilary R Offline

Threads: 0
BigDick Wrote:George said
Quote:A hell of a lot more than the riders who have supported the TT through thick and thin, Its a pity they cant find any start money for the local riders that aint riding for a works team. smilie

Bet Rossi don't sleep in the back of a fan for a fortnight or more like some of the privateers do! Pigfly

Thats why i was so annoyed about the £100-150,000 they have given over to ttxgp when everone else seems to be short changed, and they are the ones that need and deserve it. Still Rossi here on the IOM awsome cant wait and i am sure he will attract more people to watch road racing can only be good for TT/MGP
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Find Reply
BigDick Offline

Hilary said:
Quote:Thats why i was so annoyed about the £100-150,000 they have given over to ttxgp when everone else seems to be short changed, and they are the ones that need and deserve it. Still Rossi here on the IOM awsome cant wait and i am sure he will attract more people to watch road racing can only be good for TT/MGP

I hope he does bring more publicity to the TT, but do you think it really needs it? It's a "World Class" event in it's own right. Rossi is, for some, a nice plus, but the 99% of the people are there to watch the racing, the Prom, Bushys Yahoo, etc, etc.
Which still begs the question....what will it do for the little man (not meant as an insult) that has to schedule his time off work, work seven days a week to afford to race, not everyone has a factory ride and for some no sponsorship of any kind and don't get me going on the Ferry gouging smilie ...
05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
What will we, the punters, see of Valentino, a rider in leathers flashing past with Ago ? They won't hang about !

It would have been a better exercise to have him tour in an open top car so we can at least see the man himself !

I hope we can see him in the paddock but already someone has commented that he is difficult to see.

Yamaha should have him on their promotional stand at least.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM by ian huntly.)
06-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
For God's sake Ian stop knocking the idea in advance.

Just wait and see what happens - if you don't like it, then whinge.
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Wow Larry, I stand corrected after my 62 years of TT involvement and constructive criticism.

I have my own opinion but I will leave it alone now, I think the responses we got within this string show that there are comments to be made.

I personally look forward to seeing him........................................
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
I am disappointed at some of the whinging and griping comments here: if anyone thinks that Ago or Mike stayed in a caravan in the paddock they must be puddled! On the way up, it is always hard, but thanks to stars like the aforementioned - and modern ones like Valli, there are much better rewards for those with the talent and luck to make it to the top.
I should think that all his costs will be borne by Dainese/Yamaha, although I am concerned that MCN is involved, and wonder just how they will misquote him to go along with their editorial loathing policy on the TT since 1970.
As for the modern-day TT being a world-class event already, if it is, so is the Lesser Muckspreading Gurning Championships! It is way beyond its sell-by date in its diluted form of the last ten years plus, and could only benefit from any publicity Valentino can bring. I noted that on BBC text pages, his (an Italian) victory in Jerez was mentioned, but not Bradley Smith's first GP victory at the same venue...
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
very well put peter, i agree with your thoughts 100%.my first tt was 1959 through to 1999 without a miss.again in 2003.i,ve also helped riders financially when i could but something is missing now.am going back again this year as my son has started racing and has his mind fixed on the mountain circuit.its in his blood i suppose.i look forward to seeing rossi and ago,it will be good publicity for whatever reasons.phil read was accepted back and this maybe helped mike to decide to return no one will ever forget that.enjoy and make the lads welcome.
06-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Find Reply
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27
Dont seem to remember any of these kind of negative responses when Freddie Spencer or Colin Edwards went around , everyone was happy then , whats the difference now ? think Rossi coming here for a look around is brilliant , however if he reads some of the messages being posted on some sites , not just here he may well tell them to shove it .

Agree with you Pikey Pat Hennen without doubt should have been here for centenary TT , however dont think Rossi coming here has any relevance to this .
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
Ok i think the questions have been answered as to who is paying and hope VR enjoys his stay but Nick i havnt got a bee in my crashhelmet i assumed the Manx Tourist board were funding the visit? i was talking to a certain American rider who name i cant remember a couple of years ago and he turned up at the bottom of Bray, i asked for his views and he replied ' it looks a bit dodgy' my reply was ' this is a mans circuit' he shrugged his shoulders and left ,so take the doctor to bottom of bray there is or was a portaloo Bonk
Roll on Kells 2010
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM by Malcolm.)
06-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

George Wrote:
higgy Wrote:how much is the cost 4 doctor yu will never know Pigfly

A hell of a lot more than the riders who have supported the TT through thick and thin, Its a pity they cant find any start money for the local riders that aint riding for a works team.
06-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

george.do you mean supper after practice or am i missing something???
06-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19
Regardless of who is paying and how much, I think it's brilliant that Rossi is coming to the TT. It doesn't matter that he has no TT background - he is by far the most famous and high-profile motorcycle racer of recent times and his visit can only be good for the event. It seems that he has a genuine interest in the history of motorcycle racing, of which the TT is such a huge part. I'm really looking forward to seeing him, and hearing what he makes of the course! Big Grin
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Find Reply
frex Offline
Just Getting Started

I think Rossi at the TT is fantastic. I don't think it is about whether or not he deserves to be there, but more about what his attendance can do to help the TT. Questions have been asked about how this could possibly benefit the TT, and, perhaps more importantly, the average racer, but I think it stands more chance of helping than harming both.
With the number of visitors to the TT steadily decreasing over the last 10 years or so, so the income to the Island from the TT has also reduced, meaning a reluctance to spend more on things to benefit racers, such as start money, ferry costs etc. The only way the Manx Government will be persuaded to spend more money helping the racers is if visitor numbers and therefore income increases.
Rossi has a lot of fans, who may not be fully aware of the TT or roadracing and never attended. If some of these fans are made aware of the TT by Rossi's attendance, they may be interested to find out more and attend themselves. You may say that this is rubbish, but it is the case that many Rossi fans now follow rallying purely because they have been introduced to it by following Rossi.
There is a Rossi fan page on Facebook, where it is advertised that Rossi will be attending the TT. This fan page, last time I looked, had about 1.3 million fans. That means in just one post on Facebook, the TT has been advertised to 1.3 million people.
I believe this can only have a positive effect on the TT, getting the TT out to a wider audience and hopefully, along with other things like better TV coverage, start increasing visitor numbers and generating more income for the Island. Then the Manx Government are more likely to be persuaded to give more help to the riders.
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

frex,another good positive reply.my grand daughter .4.shouts for rossi,my son 30.shouts for rossi,my wife 55,like most ladies shouts for rossi,my inlaws both in their late 80,s shout for rossi.he does it for most people.he,s special and can only do good for the island.lets do it for him and give him a real good welcome.hopefully we,ll all benefit.
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Another positve reply. wonderfull news Valentino Rossi is to visit the TT, it would be super if Casey Stoner could join him as well. The TT need people like him on their side.
08-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Find Reply
BigDick Offline

Quote:The only way the Manx Government will be persuaded to spend more money helping the racers is if visitor numbers and therefore income increases.
Ok , then why not subsidise the ferry pricing. Not a whinge, read on. Then call me a whinger Wink
Just for S**TS and GIGGLES I went on the ferry booking page early to see how much for a bike and rider (return) in early May, about 78 quid. Then looked at booikings for TT about 178 quid. Other than having a captive audience, I see no difference in early May to late May.
I don't think it matters to most who shows up to ride around the course a couple of times and wave, what, as some have mentioned, is the need for punters, tourist money etc.
Even in spite of my earlier post, it's great that these people do come to the event. But if you want to attract more punters, first do something about the Ferry pricing. As far as advertising, Facebook is fantastic and it's free, so why are the politicians, businesses etc. not using it instead of countless money on adds and things of that nature.
Simply put, make the TT easier and more cost effective to get to, and I'm sure the punters will show up in droves!
Just my tuppence worth!
08-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
We know you are not whinging Large Richard but you may have overlooked something. It may be helpful to step back sometimes and try to appreciate how good the TT is and how lucky any of us who have seen it are. It is a unique road race (time trial really) on a unique picturesque island which is in itself a pleasure to visit. You can virtually pick your unobscured vantage point anywhere around the course and watch a truly breathtaking spectacle. And the price of admission is ZERO. The residents of this island, enthusiasts or not, bear the highs and lows of TT fortnight with an equanimity or at least a tolerance which you would have difficulty finding anywhere else in the world. Just for interest I looked up a few MotoGP admission prices for comparison - Italian GP € 364 to € 201 Fri to Sun. That is £325 to £179. UK GP € 84 cheapest uncovered = £ 75. The French GP was sold out. These are the lowest prices and they just go up from there. So let’s say we wanted to go to Italy to see the GP; how much would it cost all up and what would we see? Come on the TT is the greatest motorcycle event you will ever experience and it is thanks to the Manx people, the Manx govt, the officials, the marshals and most of all the riders and crews, the large majority of whom work for absolutely ZERO.
Finally as the ferries are owned by an Australian company you could at least do your bit to help us out over this difficult financial period.
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
08-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Find Reply
BigDick Offline

Nicely put Don, especially the "Large Richard" bit.
But one of the most common practises in any business as far as I know is: "sell a few items at an inflated price or sell thousands for a reasonable price"
However comparing a "Series" like the GP boys run in, to the TT is a bit like comparing Apples to Oranges.
The GP boys do an entire event at a closed track over a weekend (not including, practice, set up etc.) and get MONSTER TV coverage!
The TT for a punter can go anywhere from just watching one days worth of racing to spending up to 3 weeks+.
When I came over in 07 for example, I had air fair from Canada, stayed with sis in UK. Ferry from Liverpool for bike and rider. Rented a bike for the 2 weeks on the island, (last time 2000 the trains and busses just didn't cut it for me, B&B in Port Erin.)
Stayed with friends in Kirk Micheal. Bought tickets to the V.I.P. tent beside the Grandstand, Grandstand tickets, Black tie Dinner at Villa Marina, Who concert in Peel, helmet camera to vid my riding the course (Dream fulfilled!!) etc. etc. etc.
Sorry, I tend to ramble on a bit.
Anyway back to the numbers:
This may be oversimplifying the mathematics: (numbers are just generic)
1 punter spend a 1000 quid at the going rate = 1000 quid
10 punters spend 500 quid at a more accessible price level = 5000 quid
Quote:And the price of admission is ZERO
Not when food, fuel, accoms, fares etc are taken into account.
As I read this it makes sense to me, but don't know if it will make sense to anyone else. LOL!!!
09-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Find Reply