North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
The race is on at North West 200

Bike fans will be hoping for a break in the wet weather today as racers and riders prepare for competition day at the North West 200.

Competitors from around the world have been putting their bikes through their paces this week in preparation for the big day, which marks the 80th anniversary of the world-famous event. Thursday evening’s practice session was cut short by heavy rain and poor light, leaving many apprehensive that further rain forecast for this weekend could also have an impact on performance.

The issue of safety has already hit the headlines after rider John Anderton (29) came off his bike as he was exiting Station Corner in Portstewart during the final 600cc qualifying on Tuesday. He was last night still in a critical condition in the intensive care unit of Royal Victoria Hospital.

Meanwhile, organisers have launched a new tourism campaign set to encourage visitors, both local and international, to extend their visit to Northern Ireland and spend their holiday pounds.

The ‘Stay a While’ campaign features a number of specially designed routes which travellers can follow before or after North West 200 Race Day.

Sports Minister Gregory Campbell said he has experienced, as a visitor behind the scenes and as a spectator, the “hard work and determination that goes into making this event possible each year”.

“It is the magnificent achievements of all the riders, organisers and volunteers that have made the North West 200 an international success and enabled it to grow year on year to reach this milestone 80th birthday,” he said.

Since its inception in 1929 the North West 200 has grown into one of the fastest road races in the world, attracting over 150,000 visitors from home and abroad and generating over £7m for Northern Ireland’s economy.

Mr Campbell said: “Over the years my Department has demonstrated its commitment to making this event a success through the provision of funding.”

Taking place annually in May, the International North West 200 circuit runs between the towns of Portrush, Portstewart and Coleraine.

The triangle circuit is one of the fastest in the world — in 2005, Michael Rutter broke the record for the fastest speed in the history of the event with 201.1mph.

Courtesy of Belfast Telegraph
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
16-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates) - by Malcolm - 16-05-2009, 09:01 AM