North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates)
Race 1 - Greenline 250cc

William Dunlop recorded his first ever win at the North West 200 when he won a dramatic Greenline 250cc race. The race was red flagged on lap one when Mark Young crashed at Mathers Cross and suffered leg and chest injuries.

On the re-start Michael Dunlop and Christian Elkin set a hot pace as William Dunlop stormed through the field from his back row starting position.

Elkin and Michael slip streamed, past and re-passed each other mile after mile around the 8.966mile circuit with Michael ahead approaching Juniper Chicane on the last lap. Elkin out-braked his rival to take the lead, but on the exit to the chicane he overdid it and high sided out of the race leaving no room for Dunlop who hit the fallen Elkin and also crashed leaving the way clear for William to sweep through the confusion and win the race punching the air with delight.

Second place went Chris Palmer six seconds adrift with Phil Harvey third.

A dejected Michael said, I thought I had the race won, but Elkin made a mad move and neither of us made the finish line.” William meanwhile was delighted with his win saying, “I’m just glad to have finished a 250cc race here with nothing but bad luck in the past. This time luck was on my side although it would have been nice to have won it without those two crashing.”

Race Day Times - Race 1 - Greenline 250cc

Race 2 - DeWalt Superbike

The DeWalt superbike race was shaping up to be a real last lap battle between Steve Plater and Bruce Anstey as they were separated by just three-tenths of a second going onto the fourth and final lap, but the red flags were displayed and the race halted after John Walsh crashed at Magherabuoy Chicane sustaining a suspected broken ankle.

The result was declared from the second lap giving Plater his seventh North West 200 victory by .6sec over Anstey.
In third spot was Plater’s HM Plant team mate John McGuinness the early leader of the race with Cameron Donald les than half a second behind McGuinness in fourth and Conor Cummins fifth.

Plater said, “I could hear somebody behind me, but I didn’t now how many there were. We had some issues with the wind and I was taking it canny. It is not the way to win a race, but I’ll take it.”

Race Day Times - Race 2 - DeWalt Superbike

Race 3 - Clinton Enterprises Supersport

Lincolnshire rider Steve Plater made it two wins from two starts when he won a scintillating Clinton Enterprises supersport 600cc race reduced to four laps after the first attempt was stopped when Alastair Seeley ran into the back of Keith Amor’s slowing machine on the run out from Ballysally Roundabout towards Mathers Cross.

Both were unhurt in the crash.

On the re-start Plater soon established himself at the front with Anstey reeling him in mile by mile. Both edged clear of John McGuinness and pole setter Michael Dunlop, who nearly did not make the start of the first part of the race due to a sticking rear brake.

On the fourth and final lap Anstey had bridged the gap to Plater and actually hit the front at one stage, but Plater was not be denied his second win of the day and his eighth in total at the North West.

Dunlop got the better of McGuinness for third with the fastest lap of the race, 118.395mph.

Best newcomer in this race was German Rico Penzkofer in twelfth position.

Plater said after his victory, “I knew Bruce was closing, but it’s easier riding from behind than it is to lead. He came past me, but I managed to re-take him at Juniper.”

Dunlop thanked all those who helped him get into the race at all including Keith Amor’s brother.

Race Day Times - Race 3 - Clinton Enterprises Supersport

Race 4 - McKendry Fabrications 125cc

The McKendry Fabrication 125cc race over four laps gave William Dunlop his second victory of the day.

He raced the PJ Flynn KRP Honda into a first lap lead over Chris Palmer and gradually eased away to a comfortable seven-second win.

He said afterwards, “The wee bike was working well and all I had to do was get it round to the chequered flag. I expected a tighter race actually, but once I broke the tow I managed to pull a good gap on the rest of the boys. From not having any wins here, I’m really happy to have now made it two. This was probably the best 125cc bike I have ever rode. It was good to get a proper race win at last.”

William emulates his late father Robert the last man to do a 125/250cc double sixteen years ago.

Young Ollie Linsdell claimed the final rostrum place with a good ride some fourteen seconds ahead of Mark Lunney with Stephan Savelkouls and James Ford fifth and sixth.

Race Day Times - Race 4 - McKendry Fabrications 125cc

Race 5 - CP Hire Superstock

The CP Hire superstock race was rain interrupted as the riders went out on their fourth and final lap. The race result was taken from the end of the second lap handing victory to Alastair Seeley recording his second International victory at the North West 200 having won this same race a year ago.

The most disappointed man was Ryan Farquhar who had taken the lead at the start of the race and led at the end of lap one. Took the lead at Juniper to crucially lead across the line at the end of the lap. On the third lap rain hit the course in the University area and as Seeley backed of and Farquhar swept into the lead.

Unfortunately for the Dungannon man the rain was so heavy it required the red flag to come out and the result taken at the end of lap two.

Farquhar said, “I’m disappointed, I thought it would have kept going. I just wasn’t in the right place at the right time although I thought I had rode well enough to win. That’s racing I suppose.”

Seeley said, “Ryan is a really good rider and rode an aggressive first lap and had a good lead. Fortunately I got a good tow from Bruce Anstey (who eventually retired) and managed to catch up on Ryan. I passed him at Juniper and led across the line at what turned out to be the crucial stage the way things worked out.”

Keith Amor stood on his first North West 200 podium in third position three seconds behind Farquhar with Cameron Donald, Guy Martin and Ian Hutchinson completing the top six.

Race Day Times - Race 5 - CP Hire Superstock
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2009, 07:33 PM by Malcolm.)
16-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: North West 200 Postings (Plus Updates) - by Malcolm - 16-05-2009, 07:29 PM