What's wrong with riders now-a-days?
shaun hogg Offline

Threads: 27
RE: What's wrong with riders now-a-days?
Before i put my tuppence worth in on this debate , i have no idea on tyres technically so only a laymans verdict or opinion , however i think this week so far the COC has made the correct decisions regarding cancellation of races , the races yesterday where absolutely tremendous & John MC on monday was superb , i think we all agree the races are about speed , there can be no real pleasure from a riders point of view in racing around here in the wet aside from the safety angle which of course is paramount , it is no fun for the spectators either , i have watched my fair share of wet races here & will always stay till the death of any race but really i think we all get frustrated at the lack of real speed involved , i appreciate some riders shine in the wet & some hate it , i can vividly remember yer Maun in 87 on the Senior race on the Saturday in atrocious conditions doing 105mph , which i still think is one of the gretaest laps ever around here , but the weather was atrocious & i was truly glad to get home after that one , god knows how the riders must feel .
I am sure some of you guys of a more mature age have witnessed worse weather than that , Surtees in the late 50s i think was one notable race when the paint was removed from the fairing by hailstones & he was lifted off the bike at the end of the race.
Today though i think the threat of being sued or the fear of something happening to a rider has to be foremost in the oragnisers mind , i well remember the production race of i think it was 99 when it was run in appalling conditions DJ won the race & i think Milky was second , the bikes where aquaplaning all over the place & unffortunately we had a fatality at ginger Hall cant rember the guys name offhand Kenny something i think but he lost it in the wet & was killed .
is it worth the risk for riders to force them to take chances , personally i dont think so .
I admire all of these guys & girls from first to last TT or MGP , but i dont think we should put any potential risks on the table for them , only my opinion & as said i am not up technically on tyres etc & i most certainlly do not hink any of them are wimps .
Only my own opinion .
Cheers everyone . Shaun
10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
What's wrong with riders now-a-days? - by DCLUCIE - 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
RE: What's wrong with riders now-a-days? - by MV - 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
RE: What's wrong with riders now-a-days? - by shaun hogg - 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM