John McGuinness ..... Interesting article
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
John McGuinness ..... Interesting article
From the British Superbike website for those interested

McGuinness: BSB tougher than the TT
John McGuinness gets his chance on the HM Plant Honda Superbike at Cadwell Park this August Bank Holiday weekend (29/30/31 August) and the TT ace believes it is going be tougher work than the legendary Isle of Man TT, where he has already amassed an impressive 14 TT race wins.

McGuinness is hoping that he can match the results of his Padgetts Honda Superstock team-mate Steve Brogan, who has ridden for the team at the past two rounds. In addition to the BSB races he will also be jumping from the Superbike to the Superstock bike, where he currently lies fourth in the overall standings, but admits he is just happy to have been given the opportunity by the team.

McGuinness is no stranger to BSB; he rode in the championship a few seasons back, which included a podium finish at Brands Hatch and has ridden for the team at the prestigious road race events so he is keen to prove that he can also be a dominant force on track.

McGuinness told the BSB website: "I last rode a Superbike on circuit in 2005 when I was with Vitrans for the latter part of the season but since then I have still been racing them at the various road races at the Isle of Man and the North West 200. It is difficult to say how different it feels to ride the HM Plant Honda Superbike on circuit compared to on the roads as it is such a fast and powerful bike wherever you ride it.

"I would say that maybe it is tougher on track as at places like the TT you get into a real rhythm on the bike and it flows whereas on track it is more physical as it is more aggressive as it's 110% intense action the whole time. There is no rest at all, especially somewhere like here at Cadwell Park and you have to be really on it. I obviously haven't raced it yet so I still don't really know what to expect, but I just have to get out there, bash it around and get as many laps as possible before the races.

"I was nervous before I threw my leg over the girl at the test we had at Cadwell Park a few weeks back and I am sure I will be the same before the race. I am not worried; I just get that fluttery feeling from the anticipation. I certainly don't want to make a fool of myself, the team haven't put any pressure on me but I want to get results to justify my chance here.

"It will all be new to me, especially as I haven't experienced the knockout qualifying before but I am working with Adrian (Gorst) who has so much experience. He will just tell me where and when to jump and I will just say 'how high'! The top ten is the aim as I need to reward the team with the faith they have put in me by giving me this chance."

"I am still going to be riding the Padgetts Honda in the Superstock class so I need to balance the both classes and just do the best I can. This is the most physical circuit on the calendar so it is going to be tough but I am really looking forward to the opportunity that the team have given me.

"I haven't any firm targets, but of course I have seen how Brogie (Steve Brogan) did on the bike at the last two rounds despite some bad luck and how Richard Cooper did at Mallory Park. I do very similar times to those boys in the Superstock class so I at least want to equal their results. Top ten is the goal and if I can do that then I will be over the moon. BSB is so difficult as anything can happen, we saw that at Mallory Park, so if it rains or qualifying goes well then who knows what could happen. I have been on the podium before when I was with Hawk Kawasaki in 2005, so a repeat of that would be a dream come true."
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
22-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
RE: John McGuinness ..... Interesting article
Stella very interesting but i was at Brands 30yrs ago with my mates collecting for the John G Williams fund when later in the evening i spoke to another legend Tom Herron, the conversation was about this up and comer called Joey Dunlop who i thought was untidy at Druids? guess what Tom replied ' this place is crazy you have daddies boys on racing bikes who dont know what they are doing' Tom god bless him said ' GIVE ME THE TT COURSE ANYTIME ' i think i know what Tom thought as Neither John or Tom lost their lifes on the TT mountain course.
Roll on Kells 2010
28-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Find Reply