Maria Aims For Best Ever Season After New Bike Deal
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Maria Aims For Best Ever Season After New Bike Deal
Top biker Maria Costello says she cannot wait for the start of the 2010 season after recovering her racing ‘mojo’.

[Image: mariaclogo.gif]

The Spratton racer, who this summer saw the Isle of Man TT female lap record snatched from her by Jenny Tinmouth, says she is thrilled to be sponsored with a Supersport Yamaha R6 that she will ride on both roads and short circuits next year.

Costello, the first woman to achieve a podium finish at the Isle of Man, says she plans to race at the Isle of Man TT races next summer after a five-year break from the event. She will be using the Yamaha R6, that sponsors CMS of Blackburn & Doug Foster helped her purchase. Maria is still looking for a 1000cc bike for the TT Superstock class.

The Yamaha R6 is the bike on which she regained her big-race confidence after joining the CSC Branson Yamaha Team at the Manx Grand Prix two months ago. They run Irish road racer Davy Morgan, and Costello used his R6 in the Junior race to great effect as she finished 17th from a start number of 48 and lapped at an average speed of over 114mph to almost equal her personal best around the TT circuit.

After a difficult three years caused serious injuries she sustained in a huge crash at the Manx in 2006, Northampton-based Costello says she has now recovered her determination, motivation and desire for racing.

“I loved this year’s Manx,” she said. “I found speed again and I now know I want to achieve more in this sport. Working with the CSC Branson Yamaha team renewed my faith in myself and my love of the sport - these great people showed me how it should be done and gave me the support and confidence to find my speed again. I'd not seen this bike before I got to the Manx, apart from pictures of Davy competing on it, but after just two laps on it I'd fallen in love with it."

"The past three years have been a catalogue of injuries, inconsistent support, bad choice of machinery and, ultimately, a lack of belief in myself. The Manx turned all of that on its head and in 2010 I’m going to be back with renewed energy, determination and passion.”

Team manager Steve Caffyn said: “It was a delight to have Maria as part of our Manx Grand Prix team. She had an instant rapport with the entire team and it was a pleasure to see her regain her speed and confidence. We know she has more to come and we want to be part of that success next season, hence her inclusion in the 2010 team line-up. She's a great lady and we're proud to have her on board. "

TT and Motorsport Development Manager Paul Phillips said: "Maria has had a great season and performed credibly at the Manx Grand Prix this year. Her lap times put her in position for a start at the TT in 2010. She knows the course really well, has a great track record and is really popular on the Isle of Man. We would welcome her participation at the 2010 TT.”

Costello plans to compete on three machines; her Supersport Yamaha R6, a Honda RVF400 and a 1000cc Superstock bike [still to be acquired] mainly in Irish national and international road races, as well as returning to the Isle of Man TT. She also intends to race at some hand-picked short-circuit meetings and at the Goodwood Revival on a classic bike.

Maria is still in need of financial backing and is looking for sponsors who can help make the 2010 season a great success. Please call 07885 877483 or email maria@costelloracing.com

Visit www.costelloracing.com
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Website Find Reply