Reciprocal Health Agreement saved - for six months at least
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Reciprocal Health Agreement saved - for six months at least
As reported on Manx Radio this afternoon

We won't need to get travel insurance for the UK for at least another six months, after chief minister Tony Brown's shock announcement in Tynwald.

He told the court and a packed public gallery that a temporary reciprocal health agreement would come in on April first to replace the outgoing one - and will then be evaluated.

Mr Brown said he'd only been told the news by the UK's secretary of state for health Andy Burnham at lunchtime.

Exact details aren't clear yet, but Mr Brown told Tynwald the British government's change of mind had come about because of the pressure exerted by the Manx government, MPs and members of the public.

His announcement brought a great cheer from Tynwald members and people in the public gallery:

Listen to the related audio clip - HERE

If you have any comments or further information on this story, please email the Manx Radio newsroom at comments@manxradio.com
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
16-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Reciprocal Health Agreement saved - for six months at least
The Minister for Tourism and Leisure has welcomed the agreement between the United Kingdom and Isle of Man Governments to implement a six-month revised Reciprocal Health Agreement.

Hon Martyn Quayle MHK, Minister for Tourism and Leisure commented:

‘I believe the revised Reciprocal Health Agreement will be positive for the Island’s Tourism Industry and good news for our visitors as well as residents. I am most supportive of ongoing discussions between the UK and Isle of Man Governments during the next 6 months to secure a new, long-term arrangement for Reciprocal Health. I’m hopeful that we will continue to see increased visitor numbers to the Island, particularly as the extension covers our busy summer season.’

The revised arrangement was confirmed by the Chief Minister to Tynwald on 16th March, following a discussion with the UK Secretary of State for Health, Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP. It now means that UK visitors to the Isle of Man will continue to receive free health care, as will Manx residents visiting the UK.

Discussions are set to continue between the UK and the Isle of Man Government during this extended period, in an effort to secure a new, long-term deal. Originally the termination of the agreement would have meant that any visitor to the Island after April 1st, who required admission to hospital for medical treatment, would have been liable for any costs incurred including medical charges and repatriation costs.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
25-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
Repatriation is still not covered, any person that has to be repatriated back to the UK or further will have to pay the costs.
27-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(27-03-2010, 01:56 PM)George Wrote: Repatriation is still not covered, any person that has to be repatriated back to the UK or further will have to pay the costs.

Never was, "George", except for non-ACU/SACU competitors under their own compulsory insurance.
28-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
(28-03-2010, 11:35 AM)larryd Wrote:
(27-03-2010, 01:56 PM)George Wrote: Repatriation is still not covered, any person that has to be repatriated back to the UK or further will have to pay the costs.

Never was, "George", except for non-ACU/SACU competitors under their own compulsory insurance.

Talking about the fans
31-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Find Reply