Imperial College & Maria Costello team-up for TT Zero Electric Bike Race
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Imperial College & Maria Costello team-up for TT Zero Electric Bike Race
Imperial College London is pleased to announce their 2010 electric motorbike and rider.
The ‘Electric Hayabusa’, which was designed and built by a team of 16 undergraduate students
led by final-year student Ben Smith, will be ridden by Maria Costello MBE in the 2010 TT Zero.

[Image: impcollege1.gif]

Ben Smith said:

"We're really excited about this years race and letting our bike loose on the TT circuit. Our team are confident in the Hayabusa based design and look forward to putting it through it's paces on the Isle of Man. Having a high calibre rider like Maria on-board will allow us to test the limits of what the machine can do"

[Image: mariapodium.gif]
Maria on the podium at the 2005 MGP

Chassis & Body

Featuring unique swingarm mounted motors, the Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa based design retains the suspension and main chassis of the legendary bike while adding a bespoke Aluminium Alloy Battery cage and motor mounting. All new bodywork completes the bike and improves on the Hayabusa’s already impressive aerodynamic properties.

Motor & Control

Propelling the bike are twin Lemco D135 Rag DC Brushed motors, each outputting 16kW (34kW peak) giving a combined 68kW/91bhp and 160Nm (peak) at the back wheel. These are controlled by a single Kelly KDH12800B unit allowing custom throttle ramps and thermal monitoring.

Batteries

Delivering power to the motors are 90 Thundersky LFP40AHA LiFeYPO4 cells offering a combined 96V and 360A continuously; these packs are monitored by 3 REAP BMS14C Battery Management Systems (BMS’) which constantly monitor and adjust individual pack voltage

Chassis - Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa k8

Motor - Twin Lemco D135 RAG DC Brushed

Batteries - 90x Thundersky LFP40AHA packs

Controller - 3x Kelly KDH12800B

BMS - REAP BMS14C

Peak Operating Voltage - 96V

Battery Pack Capacity - 11.5kWh

Peak Power - 64kW

Maximum Torque (@zero rpm) - 160Nm

RTR Weight - 275kg

Wheelbase - 1485mm

Final Drive Ratio - 2.4
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Website Find Reply