Loris Capirossi ready for landmark 300th Grand Prix start
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Loris Capirossi ready for landmark 300th Grand Prix start
The veteran Italian is set to reach the milestone in Sunday’s MotoGP race at the Commercialbank Grand Prix of Qatar, and was honoured in a presentation after Saturday’s qualifying.

Rizla Suzuki rider Loris Capirossi will become the first rider in the history of Grand Prix racing to make 300 GP starts, when he takes his place on the starting grid for Sunday’s premier class race at the Losail International Circuit.

The remarkable achievement of the Italian was recognised on Saturday when he was presented with a special commemorative plaque by the CEO of MotoGP rights holders Dorna Sports, Mr Carmelo Ezpeleta, after the qualifying session. motogp.com has also honoured Capirossi with a special video, which documents the finest moments of his illustrious career.

In 2010 Capirossi enters an incredible 21st season full time in Grand Prix racing, something no other rider has achieved. The 37 year-old’s magnificent career has seen him finish in a point-scoring position a record 245 times, and he won back-to-back 125cc titles in his first two seasons in the World Championship in 1990 and 1991. A third title for Capirossi came in the 250cc class in 1998.

The man also known as ‘Capirex’ will wear special leathers, a helmet and livery to mark the occasion of his 300th start in Sunday’s race. Below you can read more fascinating facts about his fantastic career:

– Capirossi has the longest winning career of all-time: 17 years 49 days between his first win in the 125cc class at Donington in 1990 and latest MotoGP win in Japan in 2007.

– He has taken part in 39.3% of the 760 Grand Prix events staged since the start of the world championship series back in 1949.

– He has won GP races on seven different motorcycles: 125cc Honda, 250cc Honda, 250cc Aprilia, 500cc Yamaha, 500cc Honda, 990cc Ducati and 800cc Ducati.

– He is one of only two riders who have won on 500cc two-stroke, 990cc four-stroke and 800cc four-stroke machines; the other is Valentino Rossi.

– During his career he has competed at 41 different Grand Prix circuits.

– The circuit at which Capirossi has made most GP starts is Jerez, where he has appeared in each of his 20 years in Grand Prix racing.

– He still holds the record set in 1990 of being the youngest ever rider to win a World Championship at the age of 17 years 165 days.

– Capirossi needs just one more top-three finish to become only the seventh rider in GP history to reach the milestone of 100 podium finishes.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Website Find Reply