Oulton Park BSB Sunday Update
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Oulton Park BSB Sunday Update
Flying Scot Easton Experiments to be Fastest

Stuart Easton set the pace in free practice ahead of the Holiday Monday third round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Oulton Park as he worked extensively on the development of his Swan Honda bike.

The Flying Scot was on the pace throughout, putting in a best lap of the Cheshire circuit in 1m 36.696secs, an average speed of 100.22mph, as he prepared for races in which he hopes to at least match his victory and second place scored there in the last round of last season.

Easton, who is currently third in the title stakes was well pleased with his performance: “We concentrated on our race set-up, making some big changes to the bike, We experimented with the balance and are well pleased with the pace, and I think there is better to come.”

Michael Rutter, maintaining his Thruxton form, ran Easton close at the top of the leaderboard, running his RidersMotorcycles.com Ducati just 0.015secs down to be ahead of series leader Tommy Hill who escaped unscathed after a spectacular crash in the final minutes of the afternoon session.

Hill high-sided off his Worx Crescent Suzuki on the fast Clay Hill section, and reflected: “It was a big one – I went high over the top of the bike, but then saved it as it finished up on top of me. Before that everything was fine, the set-up was good, the pace was good, and I am OK.”

Gary Mason put his MSS Colchester Kawasaki fourth fastest, 1m 37.015secs, with a late burst of pace. “We have made changes to the chassis and progress with the electronics and that really shows now, although we know the pace will get hotter,” said Mason, the Privateers Cup winner of last year.

His speed eclipsed that of Josh Brookes, the race winner last time out at Thruxton, who is aiming for more of the same aboard the HM Plant Honda, running only split second down on Mason with Ian Lowry, despite a tumble in the morning session, fighting back to post a strong sixth best time on his debut with the Motorpoint Yamaha team.

Lowry has taken over the ride from former champion Neil Hodgson who has been forced to quit the sport through injury and he has been strong throughout, with his best lap coming in 1m 37.242secs. Tommy Bridewell, who missed the previous round after sustaining finger injuries in a crash during practice, bounced back well on the Quay Garage Honda to be seventh ahead of Chris Walker on the second MSS Colchester Kawasaki.

Relentless Suzuki by TAS duo Alastair Seeley and Michael Laverty completed the top ten ahead of the Japanese duo of Yukio Kagayama and six times Oulton Park winner Ryuichi Kiyonari.

Alex Lowes, making his Superbike debut aboard the Redline KTM, ran fastest in the Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO category with a lap in 1m 38.754secs, almost a third of a second faster than Thruxton double race winner David Anthony riding the MIST Suzuki, with Hudson Kennaugh third best aboard the MAR Kawasaki.

For the record

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, free practice:

1. Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) 1m:36.696s
2. Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +0.015s
3. Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +0.210s
4. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +0.319s
5. Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +0.345s
6. Ian Lowry (Motorpoint Yamaha) +0.546s
7. Tommy Bridewell (Quay Garage Honda) +0.682s
8. Chris Walker (MSS Colchester Kawasaki)+0.710s
9. Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +0.717s
10. Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +0.752s

Superbikes on track

Sunday 2 May
12.00 – 12.50 Free practice
15.20 – 16.16 Swan Combi Roll for Pole

Monday 3 May
09.20 – 09.35 Warm-up practice
13.00 Race One – 18 laps
16.40 Race Two - 18 laps

Superbikes on television

British Eurosport 2
12.30 – 18.00 Live raceday coverage
20.15 – 21.45 Highlights

Rutter: Moving on up

Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati's Michael Rutter secured his second front row start of the season at Oulton Park this afternoon and at a track that he has had previous race-winning success he is ready for the fight tomorrow.

Rutter was straight out on track in the final qualifying session for the Swan Roll for Pole, putting in his fastest lap early in the final eight minute shootout to secure his front row starting position but was in the closing stages was nudged back to third. The Blade is now feeling confident that he can emulate some of his past podium success in the two races tomorrow.

Rutter said:

"It's great to be back on the front row again and put Ducati back where they should be. It feels like it is all coming together for us now and we have the bike working well now we have the traction control dialled in properly. I want to show what we can do and I know its going to be a tough race tomorrow but I can't see any reason why we can't be up there challenging for the podium. I like this track and everyone reminds me the last time I won here was in 2005, so it would be good to change that tomorrow, but we will have to wait and see what happens."

Hill leaves it late to take pole

Worx Crescent Suzuki's Tommy Hill left it until the final seconds of the Swan Combi Roll for Pole qualifying session at Oulton Park to take his second pole position of the season after stealing the top time from Swan Honda's Stuart Easton.

Hill edged out Easton by just 0.394s to claim the pole position whilst Michael Rutter stayed third fastest to claim his second front row start of the season for the Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati team with HM Plant Honda's Josh Brookes completing the front row.

Hill said:

"I am over the moon, as I messed up one of my laps and didn't want to settle for it so I just went out there and put another lap in. To be totally fair it has been a tough weekend so far but the Worx Crescent Suzuki boys have worked hard especially after my crash, but I just need to keep chipping away and keep my championship lead tomorrow."

A complete list of ALL Qualifying results can be downloaded/viewed HERE
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Website Find Reply