Rizla Suzuki GP Bike at the TT - Set-Up etc
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rizla Suzuki GP Bike at the TT - Set-Up etc
[Image: suzuki50years.gif]

Gary McLaren is Data Analyst for Loris Capirossi in the Rizla Suzuki MotoGP team.

[Image: gmclaren.gif]

"I've just got back from the Isle of Man after helping to get the Rizla Suzuki GSV-R set up for a lap of the famous TT course with Cameron Donald, to help Suzuki celebrate its 50th anniversary of racing on the island.

"We went there with no information about how the bike would work on the roads or any data from the circuit, so it was hard to work out exactly what's required to make a MotoGP bike work around there. Also it's a 37.7 mile lap, which is something that the bike's never done before, so we had to take all that into consideration. To get any data you need to wait about 19 minutes for the bike to do a lap and come back before you find out what's going on out there and we just didn't have that opportunity, because it was a one-lap run.

"We had a bit of help from the Relentless guys as they gave us some info about how they set-up the superbike for the TT course and we were able to modify the suspension - mostly for a safety point of view - to try to make the bike easier for Cameron to ride. The lap was really only supposed to be a demo lap, but as soon as Cameron got on the bike he said that if felt so good he was able to push a bit harder, so it looks like we got the settings about right from the start. When he got back we checked the data and it all looked really good and everything worked well. From that we were able to generate our first GPS MotoGP TT map for the whole circuit, showing exactly what was happening to the GSV-R over the Isle of Man Mountain course.

"The TT circuit compared to a normal race weekend at one of the MotoGP circuits is very similar; the only difference really is that it is a longer circuit and the fact that it's on public roads makes it a lot bumpier than the tracks we would visit. There were a couple of areas on the track - such as the bottom of Bray Hill - where Cameron was told to take it a bit easy because the GSV-R is not built for this type of environment, but besides that he was on his own to ride the bike the way he did.

The Bridgestone tyres also worked really well around the whole circuit and that was another thing that helped Cameron do such an impressive first lap as he had so much confidence in them. He rode a full-spec GSV-R, just the same as if Loris or Alvaro were using it; the only change we made was to put on steel brake discs, because with the carbon ones that we use in GPs he wouldn't have got enough heat in them to work properly. Other than that he was on a full-blown MotoGP bike on British roads and I am happy that I was able to help in some way to make it such an amazing event for the fans at trackside and be a small part of the Isle of Man TT history!"
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
22-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Website Find Reply
iomfireblade Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Rizla Suzuki GP Bike at the TT - Set-Up etc
(22-06-2010, 03:12 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
[Image: suzuki50years.gif]

Gary McLaren is Data Analyst for Loris Capirossi in the Rizla Suzuki MotoGP team.

[Image: gmclaren.gif]

"I've just got back from the Isle of Man after helping to get the Rizla Suzuki GSV-R set up for a lap of the famous TT course with Cameron Donald, to help Suzuki celebrate its 50th anniversary of racing on the island.

"We went there with no information about how the bike would work on the roads or any data from the circuit, so it was hard to work out exactly what's required to make a MotoGP bike work around there. Also it's a 37.7 mile lap, which is something that the bike's never done before, so we had to take all that into consideration. To get any data you need to wait about 19 minutes for the bike to do a lap and come back before you find out what's going on out there and we just didn't have that opportunity, because it was a one-lap run.

"We had a bit of help from the Relentless guys as they gave us some info about how they set-up the superbike for the TT course and we were able to modify the suspension - mostly for a safety point of view - to try to make the bike easier for Cameron to ride. The lap was really only supposed to be a demo lap, but as soon as Cameron got on the bike he said that if felt so good he was able to push a bit harder, so it looks like we got the settings about right from the start. When he got back we checked the data and it all looked really good and everything worked well. From that we were able to generate our first GPS MotoGP TT map for the whole circuit, showing exactly what was happening to the GSV-R over the Isle of Man Mountain course.

"The TT circuit compared to a normal race weekend at one of the MotoGP circuits is very similar; the only difference really is that it is a longer circuit and the fact that it's on public roads makes it a lot bumpier than the tracks we would visit. There were a couple of areas on the track - such as the bottom of Bray Hill - where Cameron was told to take it a bit easy because the GSV-R is not built for this type of environment, but besides that he was on his own to ride the bike the way he did.

The Bridgestone tyres also worked really well around the whole circuit and that was another thing that helped Cameron do such an impressive first lap as he had so much confidence in them. He rode a full-spec GSV-R, just the same as if Loris or Alvaro were using it; the only change we made was to put on steel brake discs, because with the carbon ones that we use in GPs he wouldn't have got enough heat in them to work properly. Other than that he was on a full-blown MotoGP bike on British roads and I am happy that I was able to help in some way to make it such an amazing event for the fans at trackside and be a small part of the Isle of Man TT history!"

do you have his lap time and speed down sulby straight ? would be iteresting to see. thanks
24-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
As this was a parade lap (of sorts), I would imagine that it was untimed, however I have no knowledge as to whether it was or not.

Despite not looking to smash any records, Donald still managed to set a highest top-speed, with 202mph recorded on the Rizla Suzuki GSV-R down Sulby straight.

Malcolm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
24-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
But is this what the TT is about ?

Because of this will we see a return to good days when the TT was part of the World Championship ?? That would sort things out.....

Otherwise leave our TT alone....What we really want to know is what an upgraded ROAD bike does on a lap and on Sulby Straight ridden by TT Riders.

The way things are going I foresee MCN running a rocket propelled bike on a lap. What is the relevance ? Shall we try a speedway bike, a Formula One car or a carbon fibre bicycle ?? A low flying aeroplane perhaps?

If they want to test on the TT course do it properly not during an anniversary lap !! Amazing Event ? TT History ?? NAW !!!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
24-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
I was told that as it had no transponder on, no lap time was taken.

As lovely as the bike looked and sounded, it didn't spark enough interest from me to be bothered timing it! Although I was a bit busy at the time anyway...honest!
24-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Find Reply