Brookes in last lap ambush
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Brookes in last lap ambush
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

HM Plant Honda's Josh Brookes won the opening race of the weekend at Snetterton after a stealth last lap move on his team-mate Ryuichi Kiyonari, who had led the entire race until he was passed by his championship-leading team-mate.

Brookes said:

"I had the pace but made it hard on myself with a bad start. My lap times were strong and I was looking for places to get ahead of Kiyo and was lining him up in several places. He was very strong though and our bikes are equally matched so I went for a lunge on the last lap as I knew I could win if I could get ahead. I muscled my way through and to have won again is a great result for me as I have increased my lead over Tommy."

Kiyonari had taken the holeshot off the line on the opening lap to lead the pack into Riches for the first time ahead of the Relentless Suzukis of Michael Laverty and Alastair Seeley and Tommy Hill. The Worx Crescent Suzuki of Hill though was on the attack and made a move on Seeley into Riches and a good run on the second lap put him third and within striking distance of leader Kiyonari and Laverty.

Brookes had finished the opening lap in ninth and had given himself work to do to close the gap on his Japanese team-mate who was holding an advantage of 0.5s over Hill in by the fifth lap. He was making rapid process through the pack though; passing Seeley, Rutter and Michael Laverty then closed on to the back of rival Hill by the seventh lap.

Brookes made his move at Riches on his Worx Crescent Suzuki nemesis, taking the inside line on the brakes to put himself firmly ahead and he then had his sights set on closing the gap to leader Kiyonari. He was soon menacingly shadowing his team-mate and despite several attempts to make a pass the lead was defended, but on the final lap a concerted move down the inside at Riches gave him the lead which he held to the flag to score his third win of the season.

Hill maintained his third position, despite several attempts from Rutter to return to a podium position, whilst Alastair Seeley ended the race fifth after getting the better of team-mate Laverty on the eleventh lap.

James Ellison took a top ten finish despite starting from the sixth row to recover from a disappointing day on track yesterday during free practice, but the second Swan Honda of Stuart Easton was forced to retire on the sixth lap with a technical problem.

Simon Andrews was the highest placed Kawasaki for the MSS Colchester team in eighth ahead of team-mate Gary Mason who clawed his way through to ninth with Tommy Bridewell rounding out the top ten. Steve Brogan finished sixteenth to win the Mirror.co.uk BSB - Evo race.

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Snetterton, race one result:

Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda)
Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +0.594s
Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +4.475s
Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +4.989s
Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +5.485s
Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +5.889s
James Ellison (Swan Honda) +9.148s
Simon Andrews (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +11.305s
Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +14.364s
Tommy Bridewell (Quay Garage Honda) +14.386s

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after race one:

Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 191
Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) 178
Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 168
Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 156
Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) 152
John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) 112
Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 112
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
17-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Website Find Reply