British riders make history at Silverstone
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
British riders make history at Silverstone
[Image: worldsbkhdr.gif]

British riders dominated both races at Silverstone, sweeping to a 1-2-3 in race one and a record first to fifth in the second race. This was the first time that five riders from the UK have filled all top five places.

The absolute record is six riders from one nation (Canada) filling the top six places. As that feat took place at a race boycotted by the regular competitors in 1991, however, it has an unusual status in WSBK history.

Local knowledge was not a truly viable reason for all the local success in England, as the Silverstone circuit was much changed from the last time any of the top British riders raced there. But a local race is certainly a motivating factor for any rider, especially when competing in front of a partisan and committed home support.

[Image: wsbsilverstone.jpg]

For most of the top UK riders who performed well at Silverstone, podium success was not their only reward. Double winner Cal Crutchlow jumped up four places to fifth in the overall championship table, double second place rider Jonathan Rea consolidated his third place in the championship. Leon Camier, so unlucky in previous races, saw a sixth and a third place finish propel him up to eighth in the overall standings.

Leon Haslam, who was only on the podium once, saw his disadvantage to championship leader Max Biaggi cut back a little, as he chases Biaggi all the way in his attempt to win the World Championship. A very disappointed James Toseland did not get the home win he so desired, but his two solid finishes kept him in sixth place overall. In fact, the British wave in WSB this year built so high at Silverstone that four of the top six riders in the championship, and five of the top eight, are now UK competitors.

British riders have now won 108 WSB races between them, with only ten more to go to join the top ranked nations in terms of WSB race wins - Australia and the USA - on 118 each. Italy is fourth, with 72 victories so far for. In total, riders from 14 different nations have won at least one WSB race.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Website Find Reply