Armoy hosts big hitters
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Armoy hosts big hitters
[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

[Image: armoyhdr.jpg]

Three times Isle of Man TT winner Adrian Archibald joins fellow Ballymoney men William and Michael Dunlop as they spearhead the local challenge for silverware at their home meeting at Armoy Saturday.
Archibald (40) took the fight to Ryan Farquhar in the feature Superbike race at last weekend's Mid-Antrim 150 before crashing out at over 100mph in the slippery conditions on the final lap.

He escaped with bruising, but his FB McKee Suzuki GSX-R1000 was wrecked in the smash and Archibald will have to rely on his Superstock-spec machine at the Coleraine Skip Hire and Recycling Armoy 'Race of Legends.'

Archibald is also without a Superbike ride for next weekend's McKinstry Skip Hire Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod.

A new chicane has been implemented at the end of the start/finish straight to slow competitors down before the ultra-fast left-hander where an elderly spectator was killed after he was struck by a wayward machine at Armoy last year.

Archibald has already had the chance to inspect the chicane and regards it as one of the more impressive safety upgrades that have been put in place in recent years.

"At least it's a proper chicane and it's one of the better ones I've seen," he said.

"We'll see if it helps things or if it's going to cause more problems. I like the wee course at Armoy and I'm looking forward to it – the racing should be good."

KMR Kawasaki rider Farquhar won five races at the Mid-Antrim and claimed a treble at the inaugural Armoy meeting in 2009 in the Open, Supersport and Supertwins races before the event was abandoned.

The Co Tyrone maestro remains the rider to beat this weekend, although Keith Amor adds an extra dimension to the event as the North West 200 Superstock race winner prepares to make his debut.

Farquhar said: "I didn't think there was any need for a chicane at Armoy and I told them that it wasn't needed. There are other things they could have done at that part of the course, but the chicane wasn't necessary.

"Hopefully the chicane they've put in will be a decent job and there'll be no incidents at it.

"It's going to be tough racing on Saturday, there's no doubt about that,"
he added.

"I just want to go and enjoy myself like I did at the Mid-Antrim and ride at a pace I feel comfortable with. If there are riders out there doing things that are out of control I'll let them get on with it.

"I think there's something wrong with my 600 and I've changes to make to the wiring loom and the ECU, because it hasn't been as strong as what it has been in the past.

"My Superstock is going well too but if I go to Armoy and don't win a race I'll not be going home in bad form because my main priority is to enjoy the racing."

Michael Dunlop is expected to be Farquhar's key rival in the Superbike class along with Archibald and Amor.

Dunlop has the use of the Robinson Concrete Honda again after the machine was badly damaged in a crash at the Southern 100 on the Isle of Man last month.

"It'll be good to get out on the big bike again at Armoy and it's going to be a tight day's racing," he said.

"The course is good fun and it'll be a chance for a good run out before the Ulster Grand Prix.

"I might do the 125cc and 250cc races as well because I won both of them last year, but I've not made my mind up yet 100 per cent."

John Burrows, Davy Morgan, Brian McCormack, Michael Pearson, Derek Sheils and Czech rider Michal Dokoupil are also entered, with Paul Robinson, Nigel Moore, Wayne Kennedy and Sam Dunlop aiming to upstage William Dunlop in the 125cc class.

Mid-Antrim 150 winner Barry Davidson, Kennedy, Victor Gilmore, Morgan and Portstewart's Ian Morrell take on the Dunlops in the 250cc race.

Farquhar is up against Irish championship leader Burrows in the Supertwins class, which also includes Seamus Elliott, Adrian McFarland, Sheils, Dokoupil and William Davison from Kilrea.

A total of 53 newcomers have entered and an impressive prize fund of £18,400 has been secured by the Armoy club, incorporating prize money of £4,800 for the Cross-Border Championship.

Kells in Co Meath was due to host the first round of the Cross-Border series, but bad weather forced the cancellation of the meeting.

Roads close at 10am sharp for a 10-race programme and will re-open no later than 7pm.

Fans are urged to purchase the official race programme (£10), which also secures free entry to the AMRRC car parks. Additional car parking is available around the course priced £5 per car (bikes £3).

A prize-giving ceremony will be held in the VIP marquee approximately 45 minutes after the final race.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Website Find Reply