Second for Lowes at Brands Hatch
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Second for Lowes at Brands Hatch
[Image: gnsracinglogo.gif]

Sam Lowes' challenge for the 2010 Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Championship remained on track at Brands Hatch today when the GNS Racing rider took another second place to claim his seventh podium of the season and maintain his lead in the title race with just four rounds remaining.

The 19-year-old from Lincoln and main Championship rival James Westmoreland had held the top spot in an excellent qualifying session but Sam had to settle for second on the grid albeit just a fraction adrift of the Yamaha man so it was all set for a thrilling race.

It was Westmoreland who took the lead on the opening lap as Sam, aboard the GNS Honda, slotted in behind him in second but a lap later he took over at the front and slowly began to open up a bit of an advantage. By lap five, his lead was up to half a second but the safety car then came out due to an incident and that allowed the whole field to bunch back up.

On lap 12, Westmoreland made his move and relegated Sam to second and that was how they finished, Westmoreland eventually taking the win by just over a second. However, the 20 Championship points gained for finishing second mean that Sam still tops the table with a healthy 30-point lead going into his home round at Cadwell Park.

It was a tough weekend for team-mate Paul Jordan with the Ulsterman being forced to retire from the race on the sixth lap. A heavy spill at Clearways in qualifying had left him battered and bruised and although he lined up in 26th on the grid, he was unable to make any impression in the race as an oil leak gradually got worse and he had little option other than to retire.

Sam Lowes:

"It's been a good weekend and me and Westy have been pretty close throughout so fair play to him for getting the win; he rode really well and I can't take anything away from him. I was happy with how the race went and was just beginning to eke out a bit of a lead when the safety car came out and whilst it certainly knocked me out of my rhythm a bit, I'm not going to use that as an excuse. The tyres had lost a bit of grip but Westy was on a mission today and I had no answer to him so we'll look to get the better of him next time out. It was a good second place and 20 more Championship points so I'm still really happy to leave here with a 30-point lead in the table."

Paul Jordan:

"It hasn't been a good weekend and the highside at Clearways really put me on the back foot. I then made a terrible start in the race and dropped back even more places but I regrouped and was able to re-take a few people, slowly getting back into my rhythm. I was slowly getting back into the race but then started to feel oil on my boot and there was nothing I could do other than pull in. It's been one of those weekends and definitely one to forget so let's hope I can get back on track at the next round."

Gary Stubbington:

"It's been an awesome weekend again for the team and although we weren't able to take the win, we were there throughout the race and the 20 points for second is very good for the Championship with just four rounds to go. Westy rode a good race so fair play to him but we're happy with Sam's second place and all thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Points make prizes, as they say, and whilst we're always looking for the race wins, we're delighted to leave here still with a 30-point lead and we just want to keep this momentum going until the end of the season.

"Paul's struggling for confidence a bit at the moment and we all desperately want him to get a finish. He was going well in the race and lapped quicker than what he had done in qualifying so we were all hopeful of a solid result but luck went against him with the oil leak. We'll take it on the chin and look to move onwards and upwards at Cadwell next time out."

The next round of the Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Championship takes place at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire over the Bank Holiday weekend 28/29/30 August.

Fuchs-Silkolene British Supersport Championship result (16 laps)

1 James Westmoreland (Yamaha) 24m44.545s
2 Sam Lowes (GNS Racing Honda) +1.622s
3 Graeme Gowland (Honda) +1.936s
4 Jason O'Halloran (Yamaha) +3.554s
5 Ian Hutchinson (Honda) +3.796s
6 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki) +4.127s
7 Glen Richards (Honda) +5.077s
8 Billy McConnell (Yamaha) +5.853s
9 Joe Dickinson (Honda) +11.474s
10 Patrick McDougall (Yamaha) +14.410s
DNF Paul Jordan (GNS Racing Honda)

Cup result

1 Patrick McDougall (Yamaha)
2 Max Hunt (Yamaha)
3 Daniel Kneen (Yamaha)
4 Matthew Hoyle (Kawasaki)
5 Shaun Winfield (Triumph)

Championship standings (after 8 rounds)

1 Lowes (GNS Racing Honda) 146
2 Westmoreland 116
3 Gowland 103
4 McConnell 99
5 Wilson 84
6 Kennedy 67

Cup standings after (after 8 rounds)

1 McDougall 132
2 Hunt 108
3 Tinmouth 98
4 Kneen 84
5 Jones 77
6 Cringle 67
8 Jordan (GNS Racing Honda) 64
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Website Find Reply