LAVERTY SECURES SHOOTOUT PLACE AFTER TOUGH BRANDS BSB
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
LAVERTY SECURES SHOOTOUT PLACE AFTER TOUGH BRANDS BSB
[Image: teamsuzukihdr.jpg]

Pole position spots in both of Sunday's British Superbike races for Alastair Seeley and Michael Laverty unfortunately couldn't replicate Saturday's BSB victory for the Relentless by TAS Suzuki team.

And despite DNFs in both races for Seeley and a fourth place and DNF for Laverty, both riders remain inside the top six, with Laverty's Shootout place already secured.

The opening race of the day saw both Relentless by TAS Suzuki riders on the front row of the grid, and while Seeley took the holeshot into Paddock Hill from his pole position slot, he was soon embroiled in a podium battle with his team-mate and former TAS Racing employee Tom Sykes.

The race was red flagged after only a handful of laps when Seeley high-sided on the exit of Surtees. The Ulsterman walked away from the crash unhurt, but an unsighted Andrew Pitt collected Seeley's machine forcing the stoppage, after the Australian took a heavy tumble. Unfortunately for Seeley, his bike was too badly damaged for him to make the re-start, having to sit it out and watch his team-mate Laverty race to fourth place.

Laverty's fastest lap in race one gave him pole position for race two, but after dropping off the pace early on, he worked his way back into a podium position before crashing out at Druids. In an ironic twist of fate, Seeley crashed at virtually the same time, but at Paddock Hill after working his way through the field and onto the back of Stuart Easton and his biggest rival for sixth place in the current Shootout standings, John Laverty.

Michael Laverty:

"Race one wasn't too bad today. I came out with fourth place but I was disappointed that I couldn't challenge the leaders. We made some suspension changes for race two, which allowed me to run a better pace, but I didn't have the pace in the early laps on fresh tyres. Once the tyres started to slide I could make ground back on the leaders and I had third in the bag. I pushed on as I felt I could go for the win; unfortunately it wasn't to be and I lost the front at Druids. Although I leave Brands frustrated, I have qualified for the Shootout, so now I have a new focus: to find the speed to win races."

Alastair Seeley:

"I've gone from hero to zero this weekend. The boys did a great job building a complete bike for me so I could take part in the second race. I got a bad start in race two but composed myself and pushed my way through and onto the back of Easton. We had caught John Laverty but the rear end came right round on me down into turn one and that was the day over. It has been a tough day, but you get them now and again, but on the positive side - we are still 10 points in front of seventh place, so it's all to play for at Cadwell Park. I can't thank the team enough today for their efforts in getting me back out on track."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"It has obviously been a disappointing day for us after yesterday's success. However, we will take the positives from the weekend: we have scored our ninth BSB podium this weekend and our second race win of the year, and to do that on a special 25th Anniversary weekend for Suzuki and the GSX-R range, not forgetting 50 years of racing, is very special.

"It was a dream before the season started to have both our riders in the top six, and that is now a distinct possibility with Michael Laverty's position already secured for the Shootout. Unfortunately Alastair is making the job very difficult for himself. Each time he looks to have the position secured with an outstanding performance, he follows that with a few costly mistakes - although this can be expected from a series rookie.

"We will regroup as a team and continue with testing in preparation for the next round at Cadwell, in the hope of making that dream a reality. Thanks to Suzuki, Relentless and all our sponsors for their continued support. A special mention must go to my team for a majestic performance this weekend - especially having built Alastair Seeley a completely new bike in less than three hours, so he could make the grid for race two."

Race two results:

1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki WSB)
2.Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +1.118s
3.Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +3.497s
4.Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +4.000s
5.James Ellison (Swan Honda) +4.189s
6.Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +11.142s
7.Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +11.182s
8.Yukio Kagayama (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +11.937s
9.Dan Linfoot (Motorpoint Yamaha) +15.507s
10.Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +15.637s

Race three result:

1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki WSB)
2.Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +0.563s
3.Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +4.788s
4.Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +6.531s
5.James Ellison (Swan Honda) +11.804s
6.Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +11.910s
7.Yukio Kagayama (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +13.927s
8.Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +20.929s
9.John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +21.181s
10. Simon Andrews (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +25.089s

British Superbike Championship standings:

1. Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 249
2.Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) 242
3.Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) 239
4.Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) 217
5.Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 206
6.Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 153
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Website Find Reply