Successful surgery for Dani Pedrosa
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Successful surgery for Dani Pedrosa
[Image: motogplogo.gif]

The Repsol Honda rider had a titanium plate inserted to help fix his fractured left collarbone during a successful two-hour operation in Barcelona on Saturday. He will now remain in hospital for between 24 and 48 hours.

Dani Pedrosa underwent surgery today (Saturday, October 2nd) to fix a titanium plate to the fractured left collarbone he suffered in a fall yesterday during free practice for the Grand Prix of Japan. The two-hour operation at the Dexeus University Institute Hospital in Barcelona was a success and Pedrosa is now recuperating. The surgeon in charge, Dr. Xavier Mir, said afterwards that the procedure "went very well" but that it is still too early to predict possible timescales for Pedrosa’s recovery.

[Image: pedrosahead.jpg]

“Dani had a four-fragment chip fracture of the left collarbone and, together with Doctors (Victor) Marlet and (Ignacio) Ginebreda, we have performed a fixation with a titanium plate, made especially for the collarbone," said Dr. Mir. "We have fixed the two intermediate fragments with two compression screws."

Pedrosa also sprained his left ankle in the fall when his leg became trapped under the bike, and fortunately there was no fracture to the joint. "Regarding the left ankle, while in surgery, we performed another stress X-ray and saw that we were dealing with a Grade 1 ankle sprain, which will heal in a short space of time," explained Dr. Mir. "The rider is recently out of surgery and I think we must wait at least 48 hours, after which time, if all goes well, we may begin rehabilitation. At this time, it is not possible to give precise dates for recovery.”

After his crash yesterday Pedrosa flew in the evening from Japan to his home city of Barcelona, arriving this morning in understandable discomfort following the 18-hour journey via Paris and was admitted to the A&E Department of the Dexeus USP, where his operation commenced at 12pm and lasted for two hours. The Repsol Honda Team rider is now expected to remain in hospital for between 24 and 48 hours.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Website Find Reply