Re-introduction of early morning practice
thewitch
Unregistered

I'm sure we could have a "coffee" break at the Creg, Ian! All suggestions for activities on the bus (oh, dear...I may regret that...) and stops, will be considered and after the New Year, we'll announce a price, time, date and programme...well, the bits that aren't going to be a surprise (shock!)
06-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147

My memory of morning practice was sitting in the churchyard at Braddan in 1966; we could hear a multi wailing its way down Bray Hill, round Quarter Bridge, the going down the box for Braddan bridge. Suddenly, there was silence, than a scraping noise and a Honda six slid into view, followed by Mike the Bike! He had missed a gear, the engine ceased and he got pitched down the road. No damage done, he rode it through the back roads and appeared later on another model.
Am I the only ttwebsiteisti to see Mike fall twice in the Island? Everyone remembers when he climbed back on the MV in the 1965 Senior and won. In 1960, first lap of the Ultra Lightweight and Mike slid to earth at Glen Helen, right in front of us.
Heroes weren't supposed to do that!
07-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Website Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15

Bill Snelling Wrote:In 1960, first lap of the Ultra Lightweight and Mike slid to earth at Glen Helen, right in front of us.
Blimey Bill! I knew you were getting on a bit, but 1960?! Big Grin
Morning practice epitomised for me all that was good and different about the Isle of Man experience. Hearing the MVs being started up just down from the digs - what an alarm clock....wonder how I could get that as a ring-tone? There was that special 'naughty' feeling about being allowed to ride a full race motorcycle on open exhausts through the still lamp-lit streets up to the start...One dawn practice in, I think 1971, I broke the habits of my life to be out of bed early enough to be first in line on my 125 Yamaha - just behind me was a certain Italian on a 350 MV, who managed to convey that he would be careful passing me, and that it would be some way down the course as he wanted to warm up the engine thoroughly before giving it full welly. In the still morning air I could hear him as I rode away from Union Mills, and on the approach to the Highlander kept over to allow this Ago missile to rocket past....a world champion playfully waved his right boot in thanks. What a great guy, and how unassuming. And I completely agree about the breakfast - 2 or 3 dawn laps, and bacon, eggs, sausage & beans washed down with landlady tea (put 2 spoonfuls of sugar in the pot to give it some colour!) - the perfect start to the day!
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

If you have a nokia phone use the voice recorder to record any sound you like. Save it and then set it as your ring tone...........easy really.

BTW all phones must be switched of during the bus run :wink:
07-12-2006, 04:38 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Hmmm...I did this and it has recorded, but...it's the first time I've had to describe a Honda 4 as quiet..can't figure out the levels..
07-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48

One of my favourite parts of the TT used to be the mornings

The bikes fealt so strong, and it was quite a strange sensation knowing mum dad and the kids were still in bed and we were out there going ballistic! WooHoo, and the sound of the bikes through Kerk Michael, loved it, then back home and back to bed, BIZZARE Lol
07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

You're welcome to join us, Shaun, as our guest, but I doubt you'd get back to bed!
07-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Shaun Harris Offline

Threads: 48

thewitch Wrote:You're welcome to join us, Shaun, as our guest, but I doubt you'd get back to bed!

Hahaha sent you a reply to your PM re The trip!
07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

In memory of Gwen, all profits from this event will go to the Manx Grand Prix Supporters Club, who raise such phenomenal amounts to provide the helicopter for the Manx.
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Well done Helen.
I couldnt agree more.
I never met the lady, but as one who has been around
the TT for a few years, of course I knew of her and her efforts.

R.I.P. Gwen.

Oh, and I guess the coach will slow down at a certain point....?

MV
11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16

These are great stories, hopefully some more will be posted. Would love to have joined you as I think this bus journey would be absolutely unforgettable. Be there in spirit, though. lol.
12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55

Hi Jan,

shame you cant be on the magic bus!
Remeber what fun we all had at the little get together?
Well, this will be the same but better and on wheels!
I am sure it is going to be, as you say, unforgettable.
Cheers.

MV
(Mike and Pamela?)
13-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Website Find Reply