IOMTTMA Courses - You need to be on one.
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: IOMTTMA Courses - You need to be on one.
(25-01-2015, 03:28 PM)panman Wrote:
(24-01-2015, 11:55 AM)Steady the Edward Wrote: They do one in Liverpool , but you don't have to do the IMC , it is good that people do and the more the better , but what we need above all else is regular people that turn up WHERE and WHEN they say they will , once you have done you required amount of sessions to become a marshal  you can then have a new comer on your shoulder to get us to the head count ,

Steady, whilst very welcome and helpful new comers don't count towards the total head count of 507 required to marshal the course until they've completed their first ten, signed off, sessions. However they are  people to be the foundation the marshals of the future so I am always glad to see them and try to make them as welcome as I can. 

Like it or not marshalling is like any other manpower situation, people come and people go. In an ideal world there would be sufficient experienced regulars who reliably show up but there will always be an attrition rate, with experienced marshals dropping out, sometimes for reasons beyond their control (economic, personal, time, health etc). For this reason new comers are vital to the TTMA and the continuance of the TT. IMC courses are part of this 'life cycle' of marshalling, so it is concerning when and if courses have to be cancelled.
Sorry Panman but your comment about newbies not counting is incorrect , for they can count on a two for one basis  ie two newbies count for one full marshal , the problem is that this can only be used in certain places and at the availability of experienced marshals for them to be with , I have said many times what we have to have is a balance , and fine as you say we will always have a natural fall off and an influx of new people coming in , what I am trying to say is that the balance is looking very precarious , and the need is for more home grown regular experienced  people to be the foundation of what is needed , 
I think if you were to look at the TTMA numbers it make for very worrying statistics .
(This post was last modified: 28-01-2015, 11:25 AM by Steady the Edward.)
28-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IOMTTMA Courses - You need to be on one. - by Dougboy - 22-01-2015, 05:44 PM
RE: IOMTTMA Courses - You need to be on one. - by Steady the Edward - 28-01-2015, 11:22 AM